Poulter Shines as Broncos Blank Brandon
Swift Current, Sask. - The Swift Current Broncos (8-12-2-1) got a historic performance from Isaac Poulter on Wednesday night as he turned aside all 47 Brandon Wheat Kings (9-12-0-1) shots for his third shutout of the season in a 3-0 win.
All the offence on the night came in the first period and it started just over a minute into the game. Josh Filmon poked the puck around a defenceman at centre and chased after it on the right wing before throwing it to the slot.
Mathew Ward was heading to the front of the net uncontested and chipped the centering feed over the blocker of Carson Bjarnason for his ninth of the season just 1:13 into the game.
Carter Stebbings added to the Broncos lead 10 minutes later. After a shot from Josh Davies whistled wide of the net, it came up the boards for Daylan Weigel who fired it on goal.
Stebbings redirected the shot into the top corner over Bjarnason's glove for his second goal of the season, pushing the Broncos lead to 2-0.
Just a few minutes later, on the power play, the Broncos would cap off the scoring.
After Cole Nagy won a faceoff, Owen Pickering went for a skate around the Brandon zone, cutting across the blue line and down the left wing before sending the puck to Nagy at the side of the net.
Nagy quickly slid it across the crease for Filmon who tapped it into an open net for a power play goal just 10 seconds into the man advantage, giving the Broncos a 3-0 lead after the first period.
From the drop of the puck in the second period, it was clear the Wheat Kings controlled play. Regularly regaining possession of the puck inside the Broncos zone and testing Poulter from all angles, trying to get on the board.
Poulter was equal to the task each and every time, turning aside 17 shots in the second period alone to keep the Broncos ahead 3-0. That included a pair of power plays in the middle frame.
It was more of the same in the third period as the Wheat Kings continued to pepper the Broncos goaltender, but Poulter stood his ground by turning aside all 20 shots he saw in the third to preserve his shutout, and the win, as the Broncos held on for a 3-0 victory.
Poulter's 47 saves were the most by a Broncos goaltender in the internet era (1996-97). The next closest was Jon Groenheyde who made 45 saves against the Red Deer Rebels on March 2, 2012.
Swift Current is back in action on Saturday, after a rare Friday off, as they travel to Regina to meet the Pats (9-12-0-0) on Saturday.
Announced attendance was 1,319.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2021
- PetSmart Donates Stuffed Toys to Tri-City Americans Teddy Bear Toss Game - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Acquire Watterodt, Draft Pick from Kamloops - Saskatoon Blades
- No Such Thing as Sophomore Slump for Rebels Rearguard Weir - Red Deer Rebels
- ICE Sign Mettimano - Winnipeg Ice
- Blazers Acquire Draft Pick for Forward Vaughn Watterodt - Kamloops Blazers
- ICE Sign Mettimano - Winnipeg Ice
- Streule Named to Switzerland's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Winnipeg Ice
- Saige Weinstein and Kooper Gizowski Win Capital City Challenge Championship - Spokane Chiefs
- Sidorov to Represent Belarus at 2022 World Junior Division 1-A Championships - Saskatoon Blades
- Jakub Demek Named to Team Slovakia's Preliminary Roster for World Junior Championship - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Yager, Unger, Burnett & Canada Red Topped in Gold Medal Game - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Molendyk, Kosmolak Strike Gold at Capital City Challenge - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Head to Alberta for Three Games in Three Nights - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Cougars Stay Winless on Trip - Prince George Cougars
- Americans Battle Back to Earn Point, Fall Short in Overtime - Tri-City Americans
- Silvertips Erupt for Nine Goals in Historic Offensive Night - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Fail to Gain Momentum against Red-Hot Silvertips - Spokane Chiefs
- Poulter Shines as Broncos Blank Brandon - Swift Current Broncos
- Giants Snag Fourth Straight Road Victory with a 5-3 Win in Kelowna - Vancouver Giants
- Rockets End Homestand with Loss - Kelowna Rockets
- Winterhawks Win Big against Prince George - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Triumph in OT against Americans - Victoria Royals
- Poulter Shuts out Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swift Current Broncos Stories
- Davies, King Score Twice as Broncos Down Pats 4-3
- Ward's Hat Trick Leads Broncos over Tigers
- Ticket Information for Postponed Games
- WHL Extends Regular Season by Two Weeks; Three Broncos Games Rescheduled
- Broncos Comeback Falls Short in Overtime Loss to Brandon