Cougars Stay Winless on Trip
PORTLAND, OR- The Prince George Cougars are still in search of their win of their road trip after a 6-2 loss to the Portland Winterhawks on Wednesday night in the Rose Quarter.
The Cougars (7-13-0-0) started off strong, jumping out to a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by Liekit Reichle and Kyren Gronick. However, Portland responded with six unanswered goals as they handed the Cougars their third straight loss.
"We came out with jump, built a good lead but then we just sat back and let them back into the game," said Cougars' Associate Coach Josh Dixon. "Our puck management hurt us, as that led to offence and momentum for them (Portland). We turned the puck over too much in the neutral zone."
Goaltender Tyler Brennan was excellent despite the loss. The 18-year-old turned aside a season high 53 shots.
Reichle opened the scoring at 4:17 of the first period as he finished off a great pass from Koehn Ziemmer. Gronick then doubled the Cougars lead at 8:23 of the opening frame when he cleaned up a rebound at the top of crease.
Portland went off for six unanswered goals and they were led by a three-headed attack in Jaydon Dureau (2-2-4), Tyson Kozak (2-2-4), and Dawson Pasternak (1-3-4). Each had four-point nights with Dureau and Kozak both scoring twice. One of Dureau's two goals came on a penalty shot late in the third period.
Pasternak and Luke Schelter also chipped in with goals, as the Winterhawks snapped their two-game winless streak.
Dureau had a potential third goal called back after the Cougars successfully won an off-side challenge late in the third period.
Game Notes: The 59 shots against are a new season high for Prince George. Reichle's goal was his first since Nov. 12th and Gronick's first since Oct. 8th. Riley Heidt scored in the goal medal game at the Capital City Challenge in Ottawa, ON. Heidt's Team Canada Red fell 5-4 in overtime to Team Canada Black Wednesday. Heidt finished the tournament with four points (1-3-4) in four games. Ryker Singer won a bronze medal with Team Canada White, after their 5-1 win over the Canadian Women's National Team. Singer had one goal in five games.
Next Game: Friday, Dec. 3rd at the Spokane Chiefs (5-11-2-1).
Cougars: Liekit Reichle, Kyren Gronick
Winterhawks: Jaydon Dureau (2), Tyson Kozak (2), Dawson Pasternak, Luke Schelter
Cougars: Tyler Brennan, 60:00, 53 saves, 59 shots
Winterhawks: Lochlan Gordon, 60:00, 13 saves, 15 shots
Three Stars: 1) Dawson Pasternak 2) Tyler Kozak 3) Jaydon Dureau
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 2, 2021
- PetSmart Donates Stuffed Toys to Tri-City Americans Teddy Bear Toss Game - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Acquire Watterodt, Draft Pick from Kamloops - Saskatoon Blades
- No Such Thing as Sophomore Slump for Rebels Rearguard Weir - Red Deer Rebels
- ICE Sign Mettimano - Winnipeg Ice
- Blazers Acquire Draft Pick for Forward Vaughn Watterodt - Kamloops Blazers
- ICE Sign Mettimano - Winnipeg Ice
- Streule Named to Switzerland's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Winnipeg Ice
- Saige Weinstein and Kooper Gizowski Win Capital City Challenge Championship - Spokane Chiefs
- Sidorov to Represent Belarus at 2022 World Junior Division 1-A Championships - Saskatoon Blades
- Jakub Demek Named to Team Slovakia's Preliminary Roster for World Junior Championship - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Yager, Unger, Burnett & Canada Red Topped in Gold Medal Game - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Molendyk, Kosmolak Strike Gold at Capital City Challenge - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Head to Alberta for Three Games in Three Nights - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Cougars Stay Winless on Trip - Prince George Cougars
- Americans Battle Back to Earn Point, Fall Short in Overtime - Tri-City Americans
- Silvertips Erupt for Nine Goals in Historic Offensive Night - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Fail to Gain Momentum against Red-Hot Silvertips - Spokane Chiefs
- Poulter Shines as Broncos Blank Brandon - Swift Current Broncos
- Giants Snag Fourth Straight Road Victory with a 5-3 Win in Kelowna - Vancouver Giants
- Rockets End Homestand with Loss - Kelowna Rockets
- Winterhawks Win Big against Prince George - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Triumph in OT against Americans - Victoria Royals
- Poulter Shuts out Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.