Potomac Stifles Myrtle Beach in the Series Opener
WOODBRIDGE, Va. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans never got the offense going as the Potomac Nationals rolled to a 4-1 win in the series opener on Monday night from Northwest Federal Field.
The Nationals (33-29, 63-66) got to Pelicans' (32-31, 53-77) starter Brailyn Marquez (L, 3-1) early in the first inning. After the southpaw struck out Osvaldo Abreu to open the ballgame, Cole Freeman singled for the game's first baserunner.
Freeman then stole second base and scored on a single from Aldrem Corredor that made it 1-0 Potomac. The Nationals then extended their lead in the first when Jakson Reetz blasted a two-run homer to left that made it 3-0.
Potomac added on another run in the fifth inning that ballooned their lead to 4-0. Freeman singled with one out in the frame and advanced to third on a throwing error from Marquez. Corredor then chopped a ball to first where Luke Reynolds fielded and threw home, but Freeman beat the tag and scored the fourth run of the game for Potomac.
Myrle Beach had trouble getting to Nationals' starter Tim Cate (W, 6-4), but the Pelicans finally broke through in the top of the eighth inning against Luis Reyes. Eric Gonzalez doubled down the left field line to open the inning and scored on an RBI single from Carlos Sepulveda that made it 4-1 after eight frames.
Frankie Bartow shut down the Pelicans in the ninth to lock up the 4-1 win.
The Pelicans will look to snap a four-game skid on Tuesday in the second game of the series against Potomac at 7:05 p.m. RHP Jeffrey Passantino (2-1, 2.10) draws the start for Myrtle Beach while the Nationals have yet to name a starter for the contest.
Coverage starts at 6:50 p.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Apps.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 26, 2019
- Sox Silence Dash 4-0 - Salem Red Sox
- Fayetteville Fends off Carolina, Moves into First Place - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Potomac Stifles Myrtle Beach in the Series Opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Red Sox Shut out Dash in Series Opener on Monday - Winston-Salem Dash
- P-Nats Gets Third Straight Dominant Start, Win 4-1 - Potomac Nationals
- Bishop Dominates As Keys Pull Away For 4-1 Win - Down East Wood Ducks
- Bishop Carves up Wood Ducks - Frederick Keys
- Sacrifice Flies Drive Hillcats to Win over Blue Rocks - Lynchburg Hillcats
- August 26 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Andrew "AJ" Politi Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Salem Red Sox
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 26 vs. Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Brinker Selected for Arizona Fall League - Frederick Keys
- August 26 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 26 at Potomac - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- RHP Luis Ledo activated off the injured list - Winston-Salem Dash
- History Channel TV Show Winner Jordan Jonas to Appear at City Stadium - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.