Pork Roll Chopped in 2-0 Loss to Yard Goats
The Thunder Pork Roll offense sputtered for a second straight night, managing just one hit in a 2-0 loss to the Hartford Yard Goats in front of a Friday night crowd of 6,484 at ARM & HAMMER Park.
Hartford starter Heath Holder (6-2) dominated in a career-high seven innings, holding the Pork Roll (12-17, 50-44) hitless until a one-out single in the sixth inning by Kyle Holder.
Mylz Jones provided the only offense that the Yard Goats (14-14, 51-44) would need, homering off the left-field foul pole to lead off the second inning. Manny Melendez scored the game's final run, singling with two out in the eight and later scoring from third on a wild pitch to provide insurance for Hartford.
The Pork Roll put the tying run aboard in four different innings, including a sixth-inning threat that saw two men reach base, as Gosuke Katoh reached on an error prior to Kyle Holder's single. Stranding five total runners, however, the Pork Roll went 0-for-8 with men in scoring position.
The loss overshadowed an outstanding start by Pork Roll right-hander Brian Keller (1-1), who struck out five and limited Hartford to three hits and one walk over seven innings.
Kyle Holder's sixth-inning single extended his hitting streak to a season-high nine games, while Matt Lipka went 0-for-2 to end his streak at nine.
Your Thunder continue their homestand at 7 p.m. against the Yard Goats. RHP Nick Green (1-3, 8.18) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Brandon Gold (7-5, 3.70) will go for Hartford. The Thunder will celebrate Faith and Family Night, and the evening will wrap up with a postgame fireworks show, presented by Penn Medicine-Princeton Health. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Offense Erupts in 11-3 Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Bludgeoned, 11-3, in Bowie - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves Win Sixth Straight, Down Squirrels in 10 - Erie SeaWolves
- Yard Goats Holder Puts Hold on Trenton Batters - Hartford Yard Goats
- Senators Overcome 5-1 Margin in 8-5 Victory - Harrisburg Senators
- Ponies Fall Short against Ducks in Akron - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins Take Two from Cats, 6-4 and 3-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Wilson Homers Twice in An 8-5 Loss at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Big Triple Helps Stop RubberDucks's Skid - Akron RubberDucks
- Pork Roll Chopped in 2-0 Loss to Yard Goats - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #95 Rumble Ponies (13-16) at Akron RubberDucks (8-20) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 19th at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Newman-Kramer Bobble, Yinzers and Fireworks Headline Next Homestand at PNG Field - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2020 Thunder Season Canceled Due to COVID-19
- Update from the Trenton Thunder
- Individual Tickets on Sale Thursday, Promotional Schedule Revealed for 2020 Season
- Swing into 2020 with New Entertainment Suite at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Name Revealed for 4th Generation of Thunder Bat Dog Tradition