Yard Goats Holder Puts Hold on Trenton Batters
Trenton, NJ - Yard Goats starter Heath Holder fired seven scoreless innings of one-hit ball, and Mylz Jones hit a solo home run as Hartford shutout Trenton 2-0 on Friday night at Arm & Hammer Park in Trenton, New Jersey. Mitch Horacek and Scott Griggs got the final six outs, as the Yard Goats improved to 2-0 on their seven game road trip. Trenton's only hit was on a single by Kyle Holder in the sixth inning. It is the second time that Hartford has combined on a one-hitter against the Thunder, as Trenton spoiled a no-hitter in the ninth inning on June 4th at Dunkin' Donuts Park. The Yard Goats have won six of their last seven road games and are 7-2 against the Yankees affiliate this season.
Yard Goats outfielder Myles Jones led off the second inning in style and blasted a home run down the left field line off Trenton starter Brian Keller to give Hartford a 1-0 lead. It was Jones fourth homer of the season and second in six games.
Hartford starter Heath Holder was outstanding and did not permit a hit over the first five innings, registered four strikeouts and retired the side in order three times. The only two batters to reach were each hit by a pitch. Kyle Holder ended the no-hit bid in the sixth inning with a solid single to right field on a 1-2 pitch. That turned out to be the only hit for the Thunder.
The Yard Goats scored an insurance run in the eighth inning with a two-out rally against reliever Brady Lail. Manny Melendez singled and took third on a hit by Vance Vizcaino. Lail then uncorked a wild pitch and Melendez score to make it 2-0 Hartford.
Mitch Horacek took over for Holder in the eighth and hurled a 1-2-3 inning and Scott Griggs retired all three batters faced in the ninth for his six save in six opportunities.
The Yard Goats continue their seven game road trip on Saturday night in Trenton, New Jersey against the Thunder with a contest at 7:00PM. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com. The Yard Goats return to Dunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford for their next homestand on Thursday, July 25th and host the Akron RubberDucks at 7:05 PM.
July 19, 2019
Final: Hartford Yard Goats 2, Trenton Thunder 0
WP: Heath Holder (6-20)
LP: Brian Keller (1-1)
SV: Scott Griggs (6)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Offense Erupts in 11-3 Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Bludgeoned, 11-3, in Bowie - Altoona Curve
- SeaWolves Win Sixth Straight, Down Squirrels in 10 - Erie SeaWolves
- Yard Goats Holder Puts Hold on Trenton Batters - Hartford Yard Goats
- Senators Overcome 5-1 Margin in 8-5 Victory - Harrisburg Senators
- Ponies Fall Short against Ducks in Akron - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins Take Two from Cats, 6-4 and 3-1 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Wilson Homers Twice in An 8-5 Loss at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Big Triple Helps Stop RubberDucks's Skid - Akron RubberDucks
- Pork Roll Chopped in 2-0 Loss to Yard Goats - Trenton Thunder
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #95 Rumble Ponies (13-16) at Akron RubberDucks (8-20) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 19th at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Newman-Kramer Bobble, Yinzers and Fireworks Headline Next Homestand at PNG Field - Altoona Curve
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Gold, Jones & Boswell Lead Yard Goats to Road Sweep in Binghamton
- Yard Goats Win 4th Consecutive Game
- Matt Dennis Steals Show as Yard Goats Begin Road Trip with Shutout Win in Binghamton
- Goats Take Bite out of Dogs to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive
- Goats Steal a Split