Piacentini Records First Pro Point in Beast Loss to Railers
WORCESTER, MASSACHUSETTS - Worcester Railers goaltender Mitch Gillam was almost perfect on Saturday night, stopping all but one of the 36 shots he faced to lead his club to a 4-1 win over the Brampton Beast at the DCU Center in Worcester.
Beast assistant captain Brandon MacLean edged closer to the 20-goal plateau with his 18th tally of the season early in the third period.
Beast goaltender Chris Dreidger was busy to start the contest and kicked out 16 shots in the first period alone, but for the second straight game, the Railers scored the only goal of the period to lead 1-0 after 20 minutes.
Dylan Willick cut in on Dreidger on a shorthanded breakaway and beat the goaltender with a perfect shot to open the scoring at 11:20.
The Beast turned in a solid effort in the second period and outshot the Railers 12-7, but the opportunistic Worcester squad would strike for a pair of goals to carry a 3-0 lead into the second intermission.
Matthew Gaudreau finished off a pretty passing play for a power play goal to make it a 2-0 game at the 10:15 mark of the second period.
Barry Almeida pushed the Worcester lead to 3-0 just over two minutes later, finding the top corner on a shorthanded breakaway at 12:21.
Worcester kept their foot on the gas and struck again early in the third as Nick Saracino lit the lamp just 47 seconds into the period to push the Railers' lead to 4-0.
As good as Gillam was in goal for the Railers throughout this contest, the Beast were determined to break his shutout. Brandon MacLean found some room in front of the crease and potted home a rebound off a Brandon Marino shot to get the Beast on the board at 3:27 of the third period.
The secondary assist on MacLean's goal belonged to Beast newcomer Patrick Piacentini, giving the rookie his first professional point in just his second game with the club.
The Beast peppered Gillam with 14 shots in the third period alone but couldn't squeeze another goal by him as the Railers cruised to victory.
NOTES: Molson Three Stars: 3) Willick (WOR) 2) Almeida (WOR) 1) Gaudreau (WOR). The Beast finished the game 0-for-5 on the power play and 5-for-6 on the penalty kill. The Beast will return home to the Powerade Centre for their final weekend of the season, starting with a matchup against the Wheeling Nailers on Friday at 7:15PM.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 31, 2018
- Eagles Rally Falls Short in 5-4 Loss to Americans - Colorado Eagles
- Fuel's Playoff Push Rolls on in 5-1 Rout of Fort Wayne - Indy Fuel
- IceMen Get Past Stingrays in Final Matchup - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Cannot Hold off Walleye - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wings Slowed by Admirals' Goaltending - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Rout Rays - Jacksonville IceMen
- Walleye Clinch Central Division - Toledo Walleye
- Late Comeback Falls Short as Glads Drop 4-2 Decision to Everblades Saturday Night - Atlanta Gladiators
- Special Teams Lead Railers to 7th Straight Home Win at DCU Center in Front of Big Crowd - Worcester Railers HC
- Nailers Win 5-2 on Fan Appreciation Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Thunder Dominant in 6-2 Win over Reading - Adirondack Thunder
- Reichenbach Makes 46 Saves as Admirals Clip Wings 2-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Piacentini Records First Pro Point in Beast Loss to Railers - Brampton Beast
- Swamp Rabbits Downed by Solar Bears - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Monarchs Fall to Nailers, 5-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Outflanked by Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Greenville Swamp Rabbits - Orlando Solar Bears
- French Reassigned to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Spencer reassigned to Adirondack in advance of tonight's game - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 31 - ECHL
- Nailers vs. Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, March 31 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines vs Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Florida Trip Wraps up for Swamp Rabbits in Orlando - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day: Admirals Wrap up Weekend Series with Wings - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Day Preview: Allen vs. Colorado - Allen Americans
- Gameday - Adirondack (38-22-3-4) vs. Reading (37-23-8-0) - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, March 31 - Manchester Monarchs
- Sholl Rolls and Steelheads Win Sixth Straight - Idaho Steelheads
- IceMen Close out Stingrays Series - Jacksonville IceMen
- Royals Seek Second in the North Division with Win over Thunder - Reading Royals
- Mallards Fall in Overtime - Quad City Mallards
- Idaho Takes Series Opener - Utah Grizzlies
- 'Blades Power Past Swamp Rabbits 5-3 - Florida Everblades
- Rush Win on "Danny Battochio Night" - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Brampton Beast Stories
- Beast Unveil Most Exciting Fan-Friendly Schedule in Team History
- Dunn Scores Twice But Beast Drop Season Finale to Adirondack
- Beast Put a Dent in K-Wings Playoff Plans with 2-1 Victory
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers
- Piacentini Records First Pro Point in Beast Loss to Railers