Penguins Lose to P-Bruins in OT, 2-1
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins dropped a 2-1 overtime decision to the Providence Bruins in a defensive battle at Dunkin' Donuts Center on Friday night.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (6-4-1-1) pushed Providence to overtime with a goal late in regulation from Sam Lafferty, but before that, the game was defined by stout defense and spectacular goaltending on both sides. Tristan Jarry and made 36 saves throughout the contest while manning the pipes for the Penguins, including some huge stops in the third period and overtime.
Providence took the lead at 11:26 of the first period on a sneaky power play finish by Martin Bako. In a series of swift passes, Bako took a dish from fellow Czech countryman Jan Ková? right at the backdoor to the side of Jarry's net and gave his team the first goal of the night.
Jarry his settled in after the early goal against, but Providence's Dan Vlada? would not be outdone. The Bruins goalie was bombarded by Penguins shots in a torrid second period flurry, but the red lamp was not triggered by the visitors through the contest's first 40 minutes.
Lafferty finally solved Vlada? with 4:52 in left in regulation, outracing the Providence defense to a puck in the neutral zone and then firing the equalizing wrister past the glove of the Bruins' previously impenetrable netminder.
The Penguins went to the penalty kill yet again in the overtime period, and Ryan Fitzgerald capitalized on the extra frame man advantage with a tap-in at the post. Fitzgerald's game-winner came at 3:43 of OT.
Jarry recorded six saves during the overtime before being beaten by Fitzgerald, his second six-save overtime performance of the season. Vlada? ended the game with 27 stops on 28 shots faced.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 11, against the Hartford Wolf Pack. The Penguins will return to their home ice next Friday, Nov. 16, in what promises to be a heated head-to-head with the Charlotte Checkers. Puck drop between the Penguins and Checkers is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins' offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the 20th season of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins hockey, including full season, 22-game, 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's brand new high definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV, which include live and archived games, begin at just $79.99 for the entire 2018-19 regular season. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2018-19 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2018
- Amerks Move Atop AHL Standings with 3-2 Overtime Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Penned in by Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Breakaway City: Phantoms Blow Past Springfield 8-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Utica Rallies to Down Pack in Shootout - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fitzgerald's OT Game-Winner Leads Providence to 2-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Complete Comeback with Thrilling Shootout Win over Hartford - Utica Comets
- Crunch Force Overtime, Fall to Amerks, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Logan Shaw Released - San Diego Gulls
- Devils Take Down Checkers, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Penguins Lose to P-Bruins in OT, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Batherson Has Six Points in Senators Win - Belleville Senators
- Devils Rally, Hand Checkers First Road Loss of Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms' Second Period Surge Downs T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Downed by Rocket, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Carrick and Welinski to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Game #12 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Back in Action for Battle of Ontario in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- Stars Recognize Armed Forces Saturday for Military Appreciation Night - Texas Stars
- Give the Gift of Hockey with Amerks Holiday Packs - Rochester Americans
- Burgdoerfer Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Heat Host Reign for Fry Day at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Joel Hanley - Texas Stars
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Matthew Spencer to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland Monsters and Ohio CAT to Host Coast Guard Hockey Game Saturday Afternoon at the Q - Cleveland Monsters
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, November 9 - Belleville Senators
- Capitals Recall Aaron Ness and Jonas Siegenthaler - Hershey Bears
- Griffins Continue Point Streak with 4-1 Win over Manitoba - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Despite Comrie's Effort, Moose Fall to Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.