Despite Comrie's Effort, Moose Fall to Grand Rapids
The Manitoba Moose (6-6-0-0) hosted the Grand Rapids Griffins (6-5-0-1) at Bell MTS Place in the teams' first meeting since the 2018 Central Division Semi-Final. Eric Comrie put on a show in the first frame, making 13 saves to keep the Griffins off the board. His best stops came in quick succession, moving across to make a sliding pad save off Matt Puempel and followed it up with a blocker save to deny Puempel again. The Moose opened the scoring with 5:43 to go in the period as JC Lipon set the table for Logan Stanley who overpowered Patrik Rybar with a blast from the point. The Griffins netminder bounced back in the dying moments of the period, robbing Kristian Vesalainen to keep the score 1-0 Moose through 20 minutes.
The Moose had an early opportunity to add to their lead in the second with an early 35-second two-man advantage. Seth Griffith nearly made it 2-0, but his shot rang off the crossbar. Grand Rapids came back to tie the game 8:25 into the period on a power play opportunity of its own. Dominic Turgeon set up Filip Hronek for a rocket from the point to even the game 1-1. Comrie kept up his play from the first, adding 12 saves to his total to keep the score tied 1-1.
The contest remained tied until midway through the third when Chris Terry batted a puck out of mid-air and into the Moose goal to give Grand Rapids its first lead of the night. Matt Puempel added to the lead just over three minutes later to give the Griffins some insurance. Terry potted his second of the night into an empty net to seal a 4-1 Grand Rapids victory.
Logan Stanley scored his first professional goal.
Eric Comrie has made 30 or more saves in four straight starts. Quotable
Defenceman Logan Stanley on his first pro goal - "I'm happy I got it out of the way. I've had some good chances this year that I haven't been able to capitalize on so it was nice for that one to go in, but definitely would've been a lot nicer had we won."
Head Coach Pascal Vincent on goaltender Eric Comrie - "(Comrie) was pretty good. He gave us a chance to be in the game so I thought he was really good."
Game Summary: https://mbmoo.se/2JOMN9V
Highlights and Post-Game Coverage: moosehockey.com/moosetv
Photo Gallery: https://mbmoo.se/2PkwSWI
The Moose and Griffins clash again Saturday for Retro Night featuring a specialty jersey, a retro-priced combo at concessions and more. Tickets for Saturday's 6 p.m. CT matchup are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2018
- Amerks Move Atop AHL Standings with 3-2 Overtime Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Penned in by Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Breakaway City: Phantoms Blow Past Springfield 8-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Utica Rallies to Down Pack in Shootout - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fitzgerald's OT Game-Winner Leads Providence to 2-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Complete Comeback with Thrilling Shootout Win over Hartford - Utica Comets
- Crunch Force Overtime, Fall to Amerks, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Logan Shaw Released - San Diego Gulls
- Devils Take Down Checkers, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Penguins Lose to P-Bruins in OT, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Batherson Has Six Points in Senators Win - Belleville Senators
- Devils Rally, Hand Checkers First Road Loss of Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms' Second Period Surge Downs T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Downed by Rocket, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Carrick and Welinski to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Game #12 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Back in Action for Battle of Ontario in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- Stars Recognize Armed Forces Saturday for Military Appreciation Night - Texas Stars
- Give the Gift of Hockey with Amerks Holiday Packs - Rochester Americans
- Burgdoerfer Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Heat Host Reign for Fry Day at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Joel Hanley - Texas Stars
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Matthew Spencer to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland Monsters and Ohio CAT to Host Coast Guard Hockey Game Saturday Afternoon at the Q - Cleveland Monsters
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, November 9 - Belleville Senators
- Capitals Recall Aaron Ness and Jonas Siegenthaler - Hershey Bears
- Griffins Continue Point Streak with 4-1 Win over Manitoba - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Despite Comrie's Effort, Moose Fall to Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.