Fitzgerald's OT Game-Winner Leads Providence to 2-1 Win
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins defeated the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in overtime Friday night 2-1 in the first game of their three game weekend. The P-Bruins got goals from Martin Bakos and Ryan Fitzgerald while Dan Vladar made his seventh start of the season in net.
A hard-hitting and physical first period ended with Providence leading on the scoreboard. The capitalized on their second power play of the night and did so with tic-tac-toe passing that Penguins goalie Tristan Jarry could do nothing about. Fitzgerald grabbed the puck at the top of the left circle and quickly fed Jan Kovar down low. He set up Bakos perfectly on the left doorstep and he tapped in his second goal of the season to give Providence a 1-0 lead into the intermission.
The second period did not see any scoring, but did see plenty of the hitting that carried over from the first frame. After Ryan Horvat boarded Emil Johansson, tempers finally boiled over. Trent Frederic took exception to the hit and dropped the gloves with Horvat, picking up a total of 17 PIM on the play. The Penguins had chances to score as they were awarded a pair of power plays in the period, but Vladar make a great blocker stop on a breakaway to keep the P-Bruins up 1-0 after two periods.
Wilkes-Barre Scranton waited until there were less than five minutes left in the game, but tied things up 1-1. Ryan Haggerty skied the puck towards center ice in a clearing attempt, but the bouncing puck jumped over a Providence defender's stick. With Sam Lafferty right on the puck, he wristed home his fourth goal of the season to send things into overtime. Providence started the OT short handed, but eventually received a 4-on-3 power play that they cashed in on. With time running out, Cody Goloubef blasted a slap-pass from the right point that got through to Fitzgerald on the doorstep. He tapped it in at 3:43 for his third goal of the season, giving Providence a 2-1 victory.
Vladar stopped 27 of 28 shots while Jarry stopped 36 of 38. Providence was 2-5 on the power play and 5-5 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action tomorrow night in Bridgeport as they face-off against the Sound Tigers at 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2018
- Amerks Move Atop AHL Standings with 3-2 Overtime Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Penned in by Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Breakaway City: Phantoms Blow Past Springfield 8-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Utica Rallies to Down Pack in Shootout - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fitzgerald's OT Game-Winner Leads Providence to 2-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Complete Comeback with Thrilling Shootout Win over Hartford - Utica Comets
- Crunch Force Overtime, Fall to Amerks, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Logan Shaw Released - San Diego Gulls
- Devils Take Down Checkers, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Penguins Lose to P-Bruins in OT, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Batherson Has Six Points in Senators Win - Belleville Senators
- Devils Rally, Hand Checkers First Road Loss of Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms' Second Period Surge Downs T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Downed by Rocket, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Carrick and Welinski to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Game #12 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Back in Action for Battle of Ontario in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- Stars Recognize Armed Forces Saturday for Military Appreciation Night - Texas Stars
- Give the Gift of Hockey with Amerks Holiday Packs - Rochester Americans
- Burgdoerfer Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Heat Host Reign for Fry Day at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Joel Hanley - Texas Stars
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Matthew Spencer to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland Monsters and Ohio CAT to Host Coast Guard Hockey Game Saturday Afternoon at the Q - Cleveland Monsters
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, November 9 - Belleville Senators
- Capitals Recall Aaron Ness and Jonas Siegenthaler - Hershey Bears
- Griffins Continue Point Streak with 4-1 Win over Manitoba - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Despite Comrie's Effort, Moose Fall to Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.