Monsters Downed by Rocket, 5-1
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, were defeated by the Laval Rocket on Friday at The Q by a final score of 5-1. With the loss, the Monsters fell to 7-6-1-0 overall this season and with 15 points, remain alone in second place in the AHL's North Division standings.
The Rocket claimed a 1-0 lead at 2:41 of the opening period when Alexandre Alain potted an even-strength goal and just under three minutes later, Laval doubled their edge with a five-on-five finish from Jake Evans at 5:24 of the frame. The Rocket capped the scoring in the first with a Nikita Scherbak even-strength tally at 15:57 that made it 3-0 for the visitors heading into the middle stanza.
In the second, a hard-fought frame finally gave way to the Monsters' first goal, a buzzer-beating power-play strike from Sonny Milano at 19:58 that came courtesy of assists from Kevin Stenlund and Paul Bittner and left Cleveland trailing by a score of 3-1 through 40 minutes of competition.
Laval claimed their largest lead of the game early in the third at 5-1 following back-to-back even-strength goals from Evans and Lukas Vejdemo at 3:03 and 3:50 respectively, before emerging victorious when all was said and done by an identical final score. Monsters net-minder Matiss Kivlenieks fell to 2-1-0 on the season despite stopping 19 of the 24 pucks he faced on Friday while Laval's Charlie Lindgren delivered a 31-save performance to improve to 5-5-1 in net for the Rocket this year.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Saturday rematch vs. Laval with full coverage, live from The Q, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
2018-19 Monsters Hockey Club Memberships, providing fans the ability to lock in the lowest ticket prices, the best seat locations to each game, custom member benefits and an exclusive Monsters jersey, are now available! Group outing and birthday bash packages for 10 or more people are also on sale now. All tickets can be purchased by visiting ClevelandMonsters.com, calling (216) 420-0000 or any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters C Zac Dalpe against the Laval Rocket
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2018
- Amerks Move Atop AHL Standings with 3-2 Overtime Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Penned in by Hogs - Milwaukee Admirals
- Breakaway City: Phantoms Blow Past Springfield 8-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Utica Rallies to Down Pack in Shootout - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Fitzgerald's OT Game-Winner Leads Providence to 2-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- Comets Complete Comeback with Thrilling Shootout Win over Hartford - Utica Comets
- Crunch Force Overtime, Fall to Amerks, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Logan Shaw Released - San Diego Gulls
- Devils Take Down Checkers, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Penguins Lose to P-Bruins in OT, 2-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Batherson Has Six Points in Senators Win - Belleville Senators
- Devils Rally, Hand Checkers First Road Loss of Season - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms' Second Period Surge Downs T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Downed by Rocket, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Carrick and Welinski to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Game #12 Preview: Tucson vs. San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Back in Action for Battle of Ontario in Belleville - Toronto Marlies
- Stars Recognize Armed Forces Saturday for Military Appreciation Night - Texas Stars
- Give the Gift of Hockey with Amerks Holiday Packs - Rochester Americans
- Burgdoerfer Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Heat Host Reign for Fry Day at 7PM - Stockton Heat
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Joel Hanley - Texas Stars
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Matthew Spencer to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Cleveland Monsters and Ohio CAT to Host Coast Guard Hockey Game Saturday Afternoon at the Q - Cleveland Monsters
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Marlies, November 9 - Belleville Senators
- Capitals Recall Aaron Ness and Jonas Siegenthaler - Hershey Bears
- Griffins Continue Point Streak with 4-1 Win over Manitoba - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Despite Comrie's Effort, Moose Fall to Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse Hosts Select Initial Public Events
- Monsters Launch Digital Fan Salute Week Presented by Rascal House
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Regular Season, Playoffs
- Monsters Sign Forward Matthew Struthers to AHL Contract
- Fans Invited to Relive this Season's Top Moments with 'Monsters Flashback'