Pawtucket Gets by Tides 4-3
Austin Wynns hit a two-run homer and Asher Wojciechowski turned in six strong innings, but the Pawtucket Red Sox edged the Tides 4-3 Thursday night at Harbor Park.
Wojcieshowski (3-2) took the tough-luck loss despite allowing two runs on three hits in his fourth consecutive Quality Start. He struck out five and walked four while throwing 54 of his 87 pitches for strikes, but he surrendered solo home runs to Tzu-Wei Lin and Mike Olt in the setback. Even with the loss on Thursday, Wojceichowski has posted a 2.21 ERA (6 ER, 24.1 IP) while holding opponents to a .143 average (12-84) over his last four outings.
The Tides trailed the contest 4-0 entering the eighth inning before mounting a comeback, as D'Arby Myers got Norfolk on the board with an RBI groundout. The Tides were then down to their final strike in the ninth inning before Wynns belted a deep home run to left field to pull Norfolk within 4-3. Pawtucket escaped further damage, however, as Williams Jerez got Steve Wilkerson to fly out to end the contest and give the Pawsox the win and the three-game series sweep.
Wynns now has four home runs this season - two of which have come against left-handers. The 26-year-old backstop is batting .474 (18-38) against southpaws this season.
Jalen Beeks (3-3) was tremendous in earning the win, allowing one run on four hits over seven-plus innings of work. He struck out seven without walking a batter, and he now has 80 strikeouts in just 56.1 innings pitched this season.
The sweep was Pawtucket's first of three games or more vs. the Tides since 2008, when the Pawsox swept a four-game set at McCoy Stadium. Pawtucket pitching limited the Tides to a .182 average with 30 strikeouts and zero walks over the three-game set.
The Tides will continue their homestand on Friday night when they welcome in the Rochester Red Wings to Harbor Park for the first of a three-game series. Yefry Ramirez (2-3, 4.93) will get the start for Norfolk and be opposed by left-hander Adalberto Mejia (0-1, 5.19), with first pitch slated for 7:05. On Friday, the first 2,000 fans 17 and under will receive a replica Tides youth jersey, courtesy of Mountain Dew and HRScene.com.
Notes: The start of Thursday's game was delayed 20 minutes due to rain...Garabez Rosa singled and scored a run, giving him a .325 average (25-77) over his last 23 games...Pawtucket committed three errors...Luis Sardiñas was 0-for-3 in his second MLB rehab game with the Tides...Andrew Faulkner retired both lefties he faced in an inning of relief, with left-handers now hitting .071 (3-42) against him this season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 31, 2018
- Stripers Shut out Indians for 3-Game Sweep - Gwinnett Stripers
- Louisville Drops RailRiders in 11 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Four-Run Sixth Leads Knights Past Pigs 6-2 Thursday - Charlotte Knights
- Indians Silenced, Swept by Stripers - Indianapolis Indians
- Pawtucket Gets by Tides 4-3 - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Swept by Red Wings, 5-4 - Durham Bulls
- Pigs Drop Rubber Match to Knights - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Adduci, Lugo Go Deep in Hens Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Beat Bulls to Complete Series Sweep - Rochester Red Wings
- Beeks Powers Pawtucket to Fifth Straight Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Devices Fall to Mud Hens 5-3 on Salute to Brannock Device(R) Night - Syracuse Chiefs
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Thursday, May 31, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (25-25) vs. Gwinnett Stripers (23-27) - Indianapolis Indians
- Lopes, Bisons Earn 4-3 Walk off SchoolKids Day Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Louisville Bats Notes: May 31 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RHP Brad Goldberg promoted to Charlotte from Double-A Birmingham - Charlotte Knights
- SWB RailRiders HOPE Week 2018 Announced - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Hitting Coach Brian Daubach to be Inducted into Charlotte Baseball Round Table of Honor - Syracuse Chiefs
- Daubach to be Inducted into Charlotte Baseball Round Table of Honor on June 7th - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Baseball Set to Return to Radio Home of the Blue Jays, Sportsnet 590 the FAN, in Toronto - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes (School Kids Game) - Columbus at Buffalo (10:35 AM Start) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.