Patriots Clinch Division Behind Bastidas Blasts
Akron, Ohio - Jesus Bastidas launched a pair of three-run home runs to lead the Somerset Patriots (71-45) to a 10-4 win over the Akron RubberDucks (71-45) on Thursday night at Canal Park.
Oswaldo Cabrera got the scoring started with a solo home run, his 23rd of the season. But, the RubberDucks responded when Brayan Lavastida and George Valera each batted in a run in the bottom half of the inning. Akron held a 2-1 lead through the first.
The lead wouldn't last long though. Dermis Garcia (30) launched a solo home run to centerfield to leadoff the second and tie the game at two. The Garcia homer matched the franchise record for home runs in a single season with Josh Pressley and Brandon Larson, who both hit the mark in 2008.
Akron jumped back in front in the fourth after Victor Nova drove in a run to make it a 3-2 score.
In the sixth, with two on and two out, Bastidas (4) crushed a three-run home run to left field to push Somerset ahead 5-3. Akron got a run back in the bottom of the sixth, but two innings later it was Bastidas (5) again with a three-run shot to cap off a four-run inning. Somerset extended its lead to 10-4 when Mickey Gasper drove in his second run of the contest in the top of the ninth.
Bastidas finished the night 3-for-5 with his first multi-homer game of his career and a career-high six RBI. The Patriots have now hit 18 home runs over their last six contests.
Randy Vasquez (2-1) earned the win after tossing 5.2 innings and allowing four runs on five hits while striking out three. Ben Krauth (2-2) is handed the loss in Somerset's longest nine-inning game of the season (3:40).
With the win, the Patriots have clinched their first-ever Double-A Northeast League Northeast Division championship. However, the team has not yet clinched a playoff berth.
Somerset continues its playoff push, now tied with Akron for first place, tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. Hayden Wesneski is slated to take the mound against Konnor Pilkington at Canal Park.
Images from this story
Jesus Bastidas of the Somerset Patriots rounds third after a home run
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Patriots Clinch Division Behind Bastidas Blasts - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks in Tie with Patriots After 10-4 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Michael Toglia Has Three Hits in Loss to Portland - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Bats Explode in 14-3 Victory over Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Altoona Snaps Bowie's 10 Game Winning Streak - Bowie Baysox
- MacGregor Dazzles in Altoona Victory on Thursday Night - Altoona Curve
- Castillo Tosses Five Strong Innings in Fisher Cats 4-3 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Stephen's Homer Not Enough in R-Phils Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Shutout Squirrels Thursday Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Brieske Shines as SeaWolves Shut out Richmond - Erie SeaWolves
- September 16, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hernandez Homers Twice as Sea Dogs Fall to Yard Goats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Goats Win Slugfest; Matt Barnes Pitches Rehab Stint in Hartford - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots to Receive Somerset County Business Partnership's Economic Vitality Award
- Somerset Patriots Tropical Storm Ida Relief Fundraising Reaches $35,000
- Patriots INF Oswaldo Cabrera Named Double-A Northeast MVP
- Patriots RHP Hayden Wesneski Named Double-A Northeast League Pitcher of the Month for September
- Patriots Season Ends in Crushing 5-4 Loss