Goats Win Slugfest; Matt Barnes Pitches Rehab Stint in Hartford
Hartford, CT - The Yard Goats scored a season-high 14 runs and tied a season-high with 18 hits in a 14-7 victory against the Portland Sea Dogs on Wednesday night at Dunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford. Sean Bouchard and Matt McLaughlin each had four hits and Karl Kauffmann earned the victory as Hartford tied a franchise mark for the most runs in a single game. Red Sox closer Matt Barnes started for Portland and was touched for two unearned runs on two hits in the first inning, his only inning of work.
The Yard Goats scored a pair of runs in the first inning off Red Sox closer Matt Barnes who started for the Sea Dogs on a Major League rehab assignment. Manny Melendez started the inning by reaching on an error and Sean Bouchard singled. Willie Abreu smashed a double down the left field line, scoring Melendez to give the Yard Goats a 1-0 lead. Bouchard later scored on a wild pitch. It was Barnes' second game pitching as Dunkin' Donuts Park as the Connecticut native pitched here on another rehab assignment in 2017.
The Yard Goats scored seven runs in the second inning off reliever Chris Murphy. Matt McLaughlin started the rally with a double and scored on a single by Manny Melendez to make it 3-0. Sean Bouchard followed with an RBI double, Willie Abreu RBI single, Michael Toglia 2 RBI triple, Coco Montes sacrifice fly, and McLaughlin RBI single and it was 9-0 after two innings.
The Sea Dogs scored two runs in the third inning on a two-run homer from Ryan Fitzgerald to make it 9-2. Portland added two more runs in the sixth inning to pull within five runs at 10-4. However, the Yard Goats scored four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning highlighted by doubles from Max George and Jose Gomez and it was 14-4. Ronaldo Rodriguez cranked two homers for the Sea Dogs.
The Yard Goats continue their final homestand of the season on Thursday evening against the Red Sox affiliate, the Portland Sea Dogs. Tickets are available by visiting the website, yardgoatsbaseball.com. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and FM 100.9 FM and newsradio1410.iheart.com and the video stream available on MiLB.TV.
Hartford 14, Portland 7
WP- Karl Kauffmann (2-11)
LP- Matt Barnes (0-1)
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Patriots Clinch Division Behind Bastidas Blasts - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks in Tie with Patriots After 10-4 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Michael Toglia Has Three Hits in Loss to Portland - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Bats Explode in 14-3 Victory over Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Altoona Snaps Bowie's 10 Game Winning Streak - Bowie Baysox
- MacGregor Dazzles in Altoona Victory on Thursday Night - Altoona Curve
- Castillo Tosses Five Strong Innings in Fisher Cats 4-3 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Stephen's Homer Not Enough in R-Phils Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Shutout Squirrels Thursday Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Brieske Shines as SeaWolves Shut out Richmond - Erie SeaWolves
- September 16, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hernandez Homers Twice as Sea Dogs Fall to Yard Goats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Goats Win Slugfest; Matt Barnes Pitches Rehab Stint in Hartford - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.