Ducks in Tie with Patriots After 10-4 Loss
Somerset second baseman Jesus Bastidas hit a pair of three-run home runs, and the Patriots bullpen worked scoreless relief to defeat the Akron RubberDucks, 10-4, in the third game of a six-game series on Thursday night at Canal Park. Somerset tied Akron for the best record in the Double-A Northeast (71-45), a half-game ahead of Bowie with three to play.
After Bastidas hit a three-run home run in the top of the sixth to put Somerset ahead, 5-3, Akron got a run back on Bo Naylor's RBI double in the bottom of the sixth. After back-to-back walks by Victor Nova and Ike Freeman loaded the bases with two outs, Patriots reliever Kevin Gadea struck out Will Brennan to keep Somerset on top, 5-4.
Xzavion Curry allowed solo home runs to Oswaldo Cabrera and in each of his first two innings but kept Somerset scoreless the rest of his Double-A debut. Curry tossed 4 2/3 innings, allowing two runs while striking out five. Ben Krauth followed, allowing three runs over 1 1/3 innings. Manuel Alvarez went an inning-plus, allowing two runs. Nick Mikolajchak allowed two runs, including Bastidas' second three-run homer, in his one inning. Skylar Arias worked an inning and allowed a run.
Behind 1-0 in the first inning, Akron struck back in the bottom of the first, when Bryan Lavastida singled home Brayan Rocchio to make it 1-1. George Valera had an RBI fielder's choice to make it 2-1. The RubberDucks broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the fourth, when Naylor walked, stole second base and went to third on an error, and scored on a Victor Nova RBI single to make it 3-2. The RubberDucks left 10 runners on base, going 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
The team that wins at least two of the three remaining games will earn a berth in the championship series. Both Akron and Somerset have a magic number of three to clinch a playoff spot over Bowie...Somerset leads the season series, 5-4, and has hit 20-7 home runs while stealing 23 bases in nine games...Brennan's extended his season-long on-base streak to 17 games...Rocchio and Valera extended season-long nine-game hitting streaks...Game Time: 3:40...Attendance: 2,677.
On the Pond
Union Home Mortgage Welcomes You Home To Canal Park for the six-game RubberDucks homestand with the Somerset Patriots, continuing Friday at 7:05 p.m. EDT. Left-hander Konnor Pilkington (3-1, 2.14 ERA) is scheduled to start against Patriots right-hander Hayden Wesneski (7-4, 4.38 ERA). The game broadcast, powered by FirstEnergy, is on NEOSportsRadio.com, the NEO Sports Radio channel, and akronrubberducks.com, and available on MiLB.TV. Tickets for RubberDucks home games are available at akronrubberducks.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Patriots Clinch Division Behind Bastidas Blasts - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks in Tie with Patriots After 10-4 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Michael Toglia Has Three Hits in Loss to Portland - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Bats Explode in 14-3 Victory over Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Altoona Snaps Bowie's 10 Game Winning Streak - Bowie Baysox
- MacGregor Dazzles in Altoona Victory on Thursday Night - Altoona Curve
- Castillo Tosses Five Strong Innings in Fisher Cats 4-3 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Stephen's Homer Not Enough in R-Phils Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Shutout Squirrels Thursday Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Brieske Shines as SeaWolves Shut out Richmond - Erie SeaWolves
- September 16, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hernandez Homers Twice as Sea Dogs Fall to Yard Goats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Goats Win Slugfest; Matt Barnes Pitches Rehab Stint in Hartford - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- RubberDucks Announce Replacement of the Seating Bowl and Sale of Original Canal Park Stadium Seats
- Multiple RubberDucks Receive Postseason Honors
- RubberDucks Announce the Return of 20 Days of Giving
- RubberDucks Announce Home Game Times for 2022 Season
- RubberDucks Manager Rouglas Odor Named Manager of the Year and Pitcher Juan Hillman Named to All-Star Team