Hernandez Homers Twice as Sea Dogs Fall to Yard Goats
Hartford, Connecticut - The Portland Sea Dogs fell to the Hartford Yard Goats 14-7 on Wednesday night at Dunkin' Donuts Park. The Sea Dogs winning streak ends at eight-games and fall to 64-46 while the Yard Goats improve to 37-76. Ronaldo Hernandez blasted two homers in the game and continues to lead the Sea Dogs with 16 long balls this season.
Matt Barnes tossed 1.0 inning in his rehab appearance with the Sea Dogs and allowed two runs (zero earned) on two hits while striking out two. He did not issue a walk. He tossed 18 pitches, 13 for strikes.
In the first inning, Manny Melendez hit a groundball to the first baseman Triston Casas. The ball rolled under his glove and into right field allowing Melendez to reach base. Sean Bouchard then singled to left field. Willie Abreu ripped an RBI double to left field and Hartford led, 1-0. Bouchard then came home to score on a wild pitch by Barnes and the Yard Goats led, 2-0 after the first inning.
Hartford then plated seven runs in the bottom of the second inning. Matt McLaughlin doubled to left field then Jose Gomez drew a walk. Manny Melendez drove home McLaughlin with a single then Willie Abreu singled home Gomez. Michael Toglia then blasted a bases clearing triple to centerfield and the Yard Goats led, 7-0. McLaughlin then recorded another RBI base hit while Coco Montes popped up a sacrifice fly to centerfield and Hartford led 9-0 over Portland.
Ryan Fitzgerald blasted a two-run home run to right field in the third inning and the Sea Dogs continued to trail, 9-2. Fitzgerald has 13th long balls this season.
Abreu recorded his third hit of the night, an RBI single to left field in the fifth inning extending Hartford's lead, 10-2.
Ronaldo Hernandez blasted his first of two homers in the top of the sixth inning cutting into Hartford's lead, 10-3. Kole Cottam then ripped a triple to right field, his first of his Double-A career and scored on an RBI single by Cameron Cannon. Portland continued to trail, 10-4.
In the bottom of the seventh inning, Montes led off with a single then advanced to third on a fielding error by Jeisson Rosario. He scored on an RBI double by Max George which was followed by a single to centerfield by McLaughlin. A two-run double by Gomez extended Hartford's lead 14-4.
Hernandez smashed his second home run of the night in the top of the seventh inning. A three-run long ball cut Hartford's lead in half, 14-7.
Portland and Hartford will meet again tomorrow, September 16th at 7:05pm. RHP Brayan Bello (1-3, 4.91 ERA) will take the mound for the Sea Dogs while the Yard Goats will send RHP Nate Harris (1-2, 7.51 ERA) to the bump.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Patriots Clinch Division Behind Bastidas Blasts - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks in Tie with Patriots After 10-4 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Michael Toglia Has Three Hits in Loss to Portland - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Bats Explode in 14-3 Victory over Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Altoona Snaps Bowie's 10 Game Winning Streak - Bowie Baysox
- MacGregor Dazzles in Altoona Victory on Thursday Night - Altoona Curve
- Castillo Tosses Five Strong Innings in Fisher Cats 4-3 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Stephen's Homer Not Enough in R-Phils Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Shutout Squirrels Thursday Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Brieske Shines as SeaWolves Shut out Richmond - Erie SeaWolves
- September 16, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hernandez Homers Twice as Sea Dogs Fall to Yard Goats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Goats Win Slugfest; Matt Barnes Pitches Rehab Stint in Hartford - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.