September 16, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes
HARTFORD'S OFFENSE EXPLODES, HANDING PORTLAND LOSS - Despite three long balls by the Portland Sea Dogs last night, the Hartford offense recorded 14 runs on 19 hits, beating the Sea Dogs 14-7. Ronaldo Hernandez blasted two home runs in the loss and drove home four RBI. He leads the team with 16 home runs this year. Ryan Fitzgerald smashed his 13th homer of the season, a two run dinger in the third inning.
MATT BARNES' REHAB START - Matt Barnes tossed 1.0 inning in his rehab appearance with the Sea Dogs last night and allowed two runs (zero earned) on two hits while striking out two. He did not issue a walk. He tossed 18 pitches, 13 for strikes.
SEPTEMBER IS SWEET - After the loss last night, the Portland Sea Dogs have only dropped one game in the month of September. Casas is leading the team this month in batting average (.480) and home runs (5). He is tied with Ronaldo Hernandez with the most RBI (11). Hernandez is batting .324 in September with four doubles, two home run and seven strikeouts. Jay Groome has not allowed an earned run this month while Victor Santos has the second-lowest ERA with 2.19.
WINCKOWSKI AND MENESES EARN TEAM AWARDS - Joey Meneses was named this year's Most Valuable Player for Portland while Josh Winckowski was named Pitcher of the Year. Joey Meneses appeared in 50 games for the Sea Dogs in 2021 before he was promoted to AAA Worcester Woo Sox on July 17th. He led the club with a .303 average, was second in RBI (43) and ranked third in doubles (22). Meneses recorded a 12 game hitting streak from June 13th to July 8th and had a .452 batting average during that time (19-for-42) with eight doubles, three home runs and 19 RBI. Josh Winckowski started a team high 19 games for Portland this season posting a 7-3 record with a 4.35 ERA (45 ER/93.0 IP). The 23 year-old right hander leads the Sea Dogs in games started (19), innings pitched (93.0) and strikeouts (83). Among the Double-A Northeast League, Winckowski ranks second in games started, third in wins and winning percentage (.700), fourth in ERA, innings pitched and average (.258).
WHERE DO WE STAND - The Sea Dogs are currently in fourth place in the Double-A Northeast League, 4.0 games out of a playoff spot. The Akron RubberDucks remain in first place with the Bowie Baysox in second place, 0.5 games back. The Somerset Patriots are 1.0 games behind Akron in third place. The RubberDucks and Patriots go head-to-head this week as the Baysox will take on the Altoona Curve.
ON THE MOUND - RHP Brayan Bello will take the mound for the Sea Dogs this evening. He last pitched 9/11 vs Binghamton and earned first Double-A win. Bello tossed 5.0 innings allowing five runs on seven hits while striking out six. He did not issue a walk. Bello has faced the Yard Goats once on 7/7and pitched 2.0 shutout innings. He allowed one hit while walking one and striking out three.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Patriots Clinch Division Behind Bastidas Blasts - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks in Tie with Patriots After 10-4 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Michael Toglia Has Three Hits in Loss to Portland - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Bats Explode in 14-3 Victory over Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Altoona Snaps Bowie's 10 Game Winning Streak - Bowie Baysox
- MacGregor Dazzles in Altoona Victory on Thursday Night - Altoona Curve
- Castillo Tosses Five Strong Innings in Fisher Cats 4-3 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Stephen's Homer Not Enough in R-Phils Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Shutout Squirrels Thursday Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Brieske Shines as SeaWolves Shut out Richmond - Erie SeaWolves
- September 16, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hernandez Homers Twice as Sea Dogs Fall to Yard Goats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Goats Win Slugfest; Matt Barnes Pitches Rehab Stint in Hartford - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.