Michael Toglia Has Three Hits in Loss to Portland
Hartford, CT - The Sea Dogs scored 11 runs on 10 hits in the second inning, and cruised by the Yard Goats by the score of 14-3 on Thursday night at Dunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford. Portland used six singles, two triples, two doubles, a walk and sacrifice fly to jump an 11-1 lead, and deny the Yard Goats of a second straight win. Yard Goats first baseman Michael Toglia went 3-4 with a pair of doubles and scored a run.
The Yard Goats scored the first run as Michael Toglia doubled home Sean Bouchard in the first inning off Sea Dogs starter Brayan Bello. Hartford loaded the bases in the first inning and forced Bello to throw 34 pitches but settled for the one run.
The Sea Dogs put together their most production offensive inning of the season and scored 11 runs in the second inning. Yard Goats starter Nate Harris retired four of the first five batters, before allowing a one-out triple to Ryan Fitzgerald in the second inning to start the rally. Cameron Cannon singled to score Fitzgerald and tie the game at 1-1. Jeisson Rosario followed with a single and Tyreque Reed had the go-ahead RBI single, scoring Cannon to give Portland a 2-1 lead. Pedro Castallanos' sacrifice fly made it 3-1, and Ronaldo Hernandez cracked a three-run triple, giving Portland a 6-1 lead. Hudson Potts had an RBI double to make it 7-1 and Fitzgerald had his second hit of the inning, an RBI single, giving the Sea Dogs an 8-1 lead. Reed would cap the scoring with a three-run double to make it 11-1. Reed had two hits and 4 RBI in the second inning.
Bello settled down after the first inning, and permitted just two base runners over the next four innings. He hurled five innings and allowed just one run on three hits with three walks and six strikeouts to earn his second straight win.
Portland added a run on Hudson Potts' solo homer run in the fourth, and two more in the fifth inning to lead 14-1. Potts had three hits, including a single, double and home run.
The Yard Goats scored a pair of runs in the eighth inning on a two-out, two-run single by Coco Montes to make it 14-3.
The Yard Goats continue their final homestand of the season on Friday evening against the Red Sox affiliate, the Portland Sea Dogs. Tickets are available by visiting the website, yardgoatsbaseball.com. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and FM 100.9 FM and newsradio1410.iheart.com and the video stream available on MiLB.TV.
Portland 14, Hartford 3
WP- Brayan Bello (2-3)
LP- Nate Harris (1-3)
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Patriots Clinch Division Behind Bastidas Blasts - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks in Tie with Patriots After 10-4 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Michael Toglia Has Three Hits in Loss to Portland - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Bats Explode in 14-3 Victory over Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Altoona Snaps Bowie's 10 Game Winning Streak - Bowie Baysox
- MacGregor Dazzles in Altoona Victory on Thursday Night - Altoona Curve
- Castillo Tosses Five Strong Innings in Fisher Cats 4-3 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Stephen's Homer Not Enough in R-Phils Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Shutout Squirrels Thursday Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Brieske Shines as SeaWolves Shut out Richmond - Erie SeaWolves
- September 16, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hernandez Homers Twice as Sea Dogs Fall to Yard Goats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Goats Win Slugfest; Matt Barnes Pitches Rehab Stint in Hartford - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.