Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins
BINGHAMTON, NY - The Rumble Ponies snapped a four-game losing streak with a 6-2 win over the Reading Fightin Phils on Thursday night at Mirabito Stadium. Wagner Lagrange and Carlos Rincon each had three hits, Jake Mangum drove in two runs, and Manny Rodriguez was 2-3 with a run scored and an RBI.
The Ponies got on the board in the bottom of the first as Rincon drove in Antoine Duplantis with an RBI double to give Binghamton a 1-0 lead. Reading scored runs in the second and third to take a 2-1 lead. In the fourth, the Ponies retook the lead for good as Rodriguez hit an RBI double that drove home Matt Winaker and tied the game at two. Later in the frame with second and third and two out Mangum lined a go-ahead two-run single to left that scored Luis Carpio and Rodriguez and put the Ponies up 4-2 capping off a three-run inning.
In the eighth, the Ponies got some insurance as Wagner Lagrange hit a two-run single to score Ronny Mauricio and Rincon.
Alex Sanabia (1-1) gets the win as he allowed two runs on five hits over five innings. Akeem Bostick was superb in relief allowing just two hits over four scoreless frames with no walks and four strikeouts to earn the save. Bostick at one point retired eight Reading hitters in a row. Fightins starter James McArthur (2-6) took the loss allowing three earned runs over five.
The Ponies have split the first two games of the series and continue their homestand on Friday night. First pitch is at 7:05 PM with fireworks presented by Miller Auto Team immediately follow the game.
POSTGAME NOTES: Lagrange finished 3-4 with 2 RBI...Rincon finished 3-4 with a run scored and an RBI...Reading LF Josh Stephen hit a solo shot in the second for his eighth home run of the year.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Patriots Clinch Division Behind Bastidas Blasts - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks in Tie with Patriots After 10-4 Loss - Akron RubberDucks
- Michael Toglia Has Three Hits in Loss to Portland - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Bats Explode in 14-3 Victory over Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Altoona Snaps Bowie's 10 Game Winning Streak - Bowie Baysox
- MacGregor Dazzles in Altoona Victory on Thursday Night - Altoona Curve
- Castillo Tosses Five Strong Innings in Fisher Cats 4-3 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Stephen's Homer Not Enough in R-Phils Loss - Reading Fightin Phils
- SeaWolves Shutout Squirrels Thursday Night - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Brieske Shines as SeaWolves Shut out Richmond - Erie SeaWolves
- September 16, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hernandez Homers Twice as Sea Dogs Fall to Yard Goats - Portland Sea Dogs
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Goats Win Slugfest; Matt Barnes Pitches Rehab Stint in Hartford - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- Rumble Ponies Welcome New Owner as City Announces 23-Year Lease Extension for Double-A Mets
- Ponies Blanked by Fightins in Season Finale
- Mauricio Goes Deep in Ponies Loss to Fightins
- Ponies Fall to Fightins on Friday Night
- Ponies Halt Skid with Win over Fightins