P-Bruins Receive Pair Of All-Stars
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins, in their 18th year in the American Hockey League, announced that defenseman Andy Wozniewski and forward Mikko Lehtonen have been named to the PlanetUSA AHL All-Star team roster for the 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic, scheduled for next month at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, Maine. Both Wozniewski and Lehtonen are first-time All-Stars.
Wozniewski, 29, leads all AHL defensemen with 25 points, already one point shy of matching a career-high. His seven goals rank him tied for third among AHL blue-liners, while his 18 assists and five power play goals are tied for first on the P-Bruins. Wozniewski has appeared in 32 games for Providence this season, as well as two games for the Boston Bruins during a one-week December recall. The veteran's best month of the year came in October when he was named the P-Bruins' Player of the Month after recording 15 points (5g, 10a) in just 10 games.
The seventh-year pro signed with Boston as a free agent on September 9. In his career, Wozniewski has appeared in 285 regular season games, amassing 99 points (24g, 75a), along with 25 postseason contests, registering 11 points (5g, 6a). Among his totals, Wozniewski has suited up for 79 career National Hockey League games with Boston, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the St. Louis Blues, recording 12 points (2g, 10a) overall. Prior to turning pro in 2003-04 with the St. John's Maple Leafs, the undrafted native of Buffalo Grove, Illinois, played at the college ranks for four seasons, the first for the UMass-Lowell River Hawks and the final three with the University of Wisconsin Badgers. His NCAA career finished with 40 points (11g, 29a) in 133 contests.
Lehtonen, 22, paces Providence with 11 goals and 29 points, while his 18 assists and five power play goals are tied for the team-lead. In 35 games for the P-Bruins, the second-year pro has taken 128 shots, which slots him second in the AHL. Lehtonen has also appeared in one game for Boston this season during a brief November recall.
Last season, Lehtonen led the P-Bruins with 28 goals and finished his rookie campaign with 53 points (28g, 25a) in 72 regular season games. He added seven points (2g, 5a) in 14 postseason contests. Lehtonen also enjoyed his first career NHL recall on April 10, going scoreless in his NHL debut for Boston the following night against the Buffalo Sabres. In his career, Lehtonen has appeared in 109 regular season games, including two in the NHL, scoring 82 points (39g, 43a), plus last season's 14 postseason outings. The native of Espoo, Finland, was selected by Boston 83rd overall in round three of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
The PlanetUSA AHL All-Star team is comprised of 24 players born outside of Canada, including 13 forwards, eight defensemen and three goaltenders. AHL fans determined the starting line-up via online balloting at www.theahl.com, while a committee of AHL coaches selected the remainder of the roster.
The 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic will feature the top talent in the American Hockey League competing in the 2010 AHL All-Star Skills Competition on Monday, January 18 at 8 p.m. and the 2010 AHL All-Star Game on Tuesday, January 19 at 6 p.m. Both events will be televised nationally in the United States and Canada.
Providence is next home on New Year's Day, hosting the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at 7:05 p.m. on Friday for Kids Hat Night. Hats are free to the first 1,000 kids age 12 and under. The P-Bruins travel to face the Springfield Falcons on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. before returning home to host the Portland Pirates on Sunday for Kids T-Shirt Night at 4:05 p.m. T-shirts are free to the first 1,000 kids age 12 and under. To purchase 2009-10 season tickets, Flex Tix or individual game tickets, please call the Providence Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or log on to www.providencebruins.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 30, 2009
- Rampage Crunch Syracuse With 3-2 Come-From-Behind Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Run Over By Rampage - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Conclude 2009 At Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Wolves Glide By Aeros 5-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Triumph Over Falcons 5-3 - Connecticut Whale
- Bulldogs Shut Down Amerks In 4-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Marlies Survive Late Rivermen Push - Peoria Rivermen
- Amerks Fall From First In Loss To 'Dogs - Rochester Americans
- Matsumoto, Phantoms Trap River Rats 4-2 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Phantoms Earn First TWCC Win 4-2 - Albany River Rats
- Dallas Assigns Fabian Brunnstrom And Maxime Fortunus To Texas - Texas Stars
- Vishnevskiy Becomes Second Texas Star Selected For All-Star Game - Texas Stars
- Rampage Sign Ryan Weston To PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Labatt Celebrity Bartending Series Begins At Change Of Pace January 4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Voynov Named To AHL All-Star PlanetUSA Team - Manchester Monarchs
- Griffins Ready To Ring In The New Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- P-Bruins Receive Pair Of All-Stars - Providence Bruins
- Jon Matsumoto Selected To AHL All-Star Classic - Adirondack Phantoms
- Former Phantom Oskars Bartulis Named To Latvian Olympic Team - Adirondack Phantoms
- Santorelli, Sulzer Recalled By Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Ring In The New Year Friday At 6:00 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Defenseman David Phillips Loaned To Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack's Bobby Sanguinetti Earns AHL All-Star Classic Berth - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage's Sean Sullivan Named To 2010 AHL All-Star Team - San Antonio Rampage
- Shirokov Named To PlanetUSA Team For 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Junland And Eller Named To PlanetUSA All-Star Roster - Peoria Rivermen
- Cullen And Skille Named All-Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Sterling Selected To AHL PlanetUSA All-Star Team - Chicago Wolves
- Khudobin, Noreau To AHL All-Star Game - Houston Aeros
- Gogulla Named To German Olympic Team - Portland Pirates
- Marlies' Forward Christian Hanson Named To PlanetUSA Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Salak Named To PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Team - Rochester Americans
- Dan Fritsche Named To PlanetUSA All-Stars - Syracuse Crunch
- Weber And Gerbe Named To PlanetUSA AHL All-Stars - Portland Pirates
- Aucoin, Carlson And Neuvirth Named To PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Team - Hershey Bears
- Rissmiller Named To PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Rw Brandon Bochenski Named An All-Star Starter - Norfolk Admirals
- 2010 PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Roster Unveiled - AHL
- Blues Recall Derek Armstrong - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Recall Goaltender Chris Holt From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Announces Front-Office Additions - AHL
- Amerks Receive De Gray On Loan; Release Schulz - Rochester Americans
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.