Amerks Receive De Gray On Loan; Release Schulz
(Rochester, NY)... Rochester Americans Vice President of Hockey Operations Ted Nolan announced today that defenseman John de Gray has been loaned to the Amerks by the Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League. In a related move, Rochester released David Schulz from his PTO.
The 6-4, 209-pound de Gray comes to Rochester from the Bakersfield Condors of the ECHL. The second-year pro has five goals, six assists and 28 penalty minutes in 29 games this season with the Condors. The 21-year-old defenseman was a third-round selection (83rd overall) of Anaheim in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
The Markham, Ontario, native has played in 97 career professional games, 68 of those in the American Hockey League with teams in Portland and Iowa. The blueliner has registered seven goals, 11 assists and 95 penalty minutes. In 2008-09, de Gray spent his entire rookie season with the Iowa Chops (AHL). He spent all four junior seasons in the Ontario Hockey League with the Brampton Battalion.
He will join Rochester tonight, as the North Division leading Amerks (22-10-2-0, 46 points) kick off their week on the road against the second-place Hamilton Bulldogs (20-8-2-3, 45 points). The 7:30 p.m. contest at Copps Coliseum will be carried live on SportsRadio 1280 WHTK and FM 107.3, Rochester's Sports Talk.
Schulz, 23, leaves the Amerks after recording one assist in four games. The defenseman returns to the Johnstown Chiefs of the ECHL, where he notched three points (1+2) in 26 games before he signed with Rochester. In his third of pro hockey, the Winkler, Manitoba, native made his American Hockey League debut in 2007-08 with the Manitoba Moose and has since skated in 13 total AHL games, including eight with the Lake Erie Monsters last season. The 6-foot-4, 210-pound blueliner was the Vancouver Canucks' eight-round selection (254th overall) in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 30, 2009
- Rampage Crunch Syracuse With 3-2 Come-From-Behind Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Run Over By Rampage - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Conclude 2009 At Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Wolves Glide By Aeros 5-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Triumph Over Falcons 5-3 - Connecticut Whale
- Bulldogs Shut Down Amerks In 4-1 Win - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Marlies Survive Late Rivermen Push - Peoria Rivermen
- Amerks Fall From First In Loss To 'Dogs - Rochester Americans
- Matsumoto, Phantoms Trap River Rats 4-2 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Phantoms Earn First TWCC Win 4-2 - Albany River Rats
- Dallas Assigns Fabian Brunnstrom And Maxime Fortunus To Texas - Texas Stars
- Vishnevskiy Becomes Second Texas Star Selected For All-Star Game - Texas Stars
- Rampage Sign Ryan Weston To PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Labatt Celebrity Bartending Series Begins At Change Of Pace January 4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Voynov Named To AHL All-Star PlanetUSA Team - Manchester Monarchs
- Griffins Ready To Ring In The New Year - Grand Rapids Griffins
- P-Bruins Receive Pair Of All-Stars - Providence Bruins
- Jon Matsumoto Selected To AHL All-Star Classic - Adirondack Phantoms
- Former Phantom Oskars Bartulis Named To Latvian Olympic Team - Adirondack Phantoms
- Santorelli, Sulzer Recalled By Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Admirals Ring In The New Year Friday At 6:00 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Defenseman David Phillips Loaned To Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack's Bobby Sanguinetti Earns AHL All-Star Classic Berth - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage's Sean Sullivan Named To 2010 AHL All-Star Team - San Antonio Rampage
- Shirokov Named To PlanetUSA Team For 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic - Manitoba Moose
- Junland And Eller Named To PlanetUSA All-Star Roster - Peoria Rivermen
- Cullen And Skille Named All-Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Sterling Selected To AHL PlanetUSA All-Star Team - Chicago Wolves
- Khudobin, Noreau To AHL All-Star Game - Houston Aeros
- Gogulla Named To German Olympic Team - Portland Pirates
- Marlies' Forward Christian Hanson Named To PlanetUSA Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Salak Named To PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Team - Rochester Americans
- Dan Fritsche Named To PlanetUSA All-Stars - Syracuse Crunch
- Weber And Gerbe Named To PlanetUSA AHL All-Stars - Portland Pirates
- Aucoin, Carlson And Neuvirth Named To PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Team - Hershey Bears
- Rissmiller Named To PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Team - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Rw Brandon Bochenski Named An All-Star Starter - Norfolk Admirals
- 2010 PlanetUSA AHL All-Star Roster Unveiled - AHL
- Blues Recall Derek Armstrong - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Recall Goaltender Chris Holt From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Announces Front-Office Additions - AHL
- Amerks Receive De Gray On Loan; Release Schulz - Rochester Americans
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Give the Gift of Hockey with Amerks 65th Anniversary Holiday Packs
- Amerks Partner with T-Mobile for 'Fueling the Frontlines' Community Outreach Initiative
- Sabres Sign Tokarski to Multi-Year Deal
- Cyclones Extend Affiliation Agreement with the Buffalo Sabres & Rochester Americans
- Fogarty Agrees to One-Year Deal with Sabres