Noah Zavolas Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week
ZEBULON, N.C. - The Carolina Mudcats, the Class-A Advanced affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, are thrilled to announce today that starting pitcher Noah Zavolas has been named the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week for the week ending on June 23. Zavolas earned the weekly honor after pitching through a complete-game, two-hit shutout with a career best 11 strikeouts on Sunday, June 13 in Potomac.
Zavolas was nearly untouchable in what was his lone start during the last week of games running from June 17 through June 23. The recently named Carolina League All-Star also worked a scoreless inning while representing the Mudcats earlier last week in the 2019 Carolina League All-Star Classic in Frederick, MD on Tuesday, June 18.
The 23-year-old Zavolas began his complete-game gem with nine straight outs before allowing a lead off single in the fourth and a double with one out in the fifth. He then went on to finish his spectacular outing by retiring the final 16 batters faced in consecutive order while leading the Mudcats to a series clinching 3-0 victory versus the Nationals at Northwest Federal Field in Woodbridge, VA.
The right-hander allowed just the two Potomac hits and faced just two over the minimum while reaching a career high 101 pitches (78 strikes) in the award winning outing. His 11 strikeout performance, meanwhile, bested his previous career high of eight strikeouts in a game set earlier this season on April, 24 in Myrtle Beach. He also induced 10 groundouts versus three flyouts in his truly dominant performance.
The Beverly, MA native is the first Carolina League pitcher to turn in a nine-inning complete-game shutout and the seventh in Minor League Baseball this season. He is also the first Mudcat to spin a nine-inning complete-game shutout since the 2010 season when LHP Matt Fairel (9.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 SO), of the then-Southern League Mudcats, went the distance in a 5-0 Carolina victory in Montgomery on July 23, 2010.
The Harvard product was acquired by the Brewers on December 21, 2018 as part of a trade with the Seattle Mariners that included OF Domingo Santana going to the Mariners and OF Ben Gamel and Zavolas going to Milwaukee. The Mariners originally selected Zavolas in the 18th round of the 2018 Draft, making the current season just the second of his professional career. The 2019 season is both his first full season as a pro and his first as a starter as he spent his first professional season in 2018 as a reliever with rookie level Everett and High-A Modesto in the Seattle farm system. Zavolas combined to go 5-2 with a 3.03 ERA with 11 walks and 41 strikeouts over 19 games between both levels last season.
Zavolas is the third Mudcats player to the earn the weekly honor this season. He joins RHP Dylan File who also earned Pitcher of the Week honors earlier this season for the week ending on April 28 and C Mario Feliciano who was the league's Player of the Week for the week ending on June 9.
The Carolina Mudcats are the proud Carolina League, Class-A Advanced affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. First established in 1991, the two-time Southern League Champion Mudcats are entering their 29th consecutive season of baseball at Five County Stadium in Zebulon, N.C. The Mudcats are owned and operated by the Milwaukee Brewers.
Images from this story
Carolina Mudcats pitcher Noah Zavolas
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Carolina Drops Series Opener 5-4 to Down East - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Strike Early, Hold On Late For Win Over Carolina - Down East Wood Ducks
- Woodpeckers Survive Rain and Red Sox to Win Fifth Straight - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Trio of Homers Lifts Hillcats Past Keys in Series Opener - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Hillcats Pummel Keys in Opener - Frederick Keys
- Stiever Shines in Debut to Lead Dash Past Pelicans - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Fall in Series Opener to Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- [P-Nats Media] Potomac and Wilmington Postponed in Woodbridge - Potomac Nationals
- June 24 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (June 24 vs. Myrtle Beach) - Winston-Salem Dash
- RHP Tyler Peyton promoted to Double-A Tennessee from Myrtle Beach - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 24 at Winston-Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 24 Transactions and Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Partner with Velocity Urgent Care on Radar Gun at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium - Potomac Nationals
- Noah Zavolas Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Carolina Mudcats
- OF Travis Moniot placed on the Dash's injured list - Winston-Salem Dash
- Bradley Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 177th Hillcat to Make Majors - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Carolina Mudcats Stories
- Mudcats and Wood Ducks Postponed in Kinston
- Smith Fans Career High Eight as Mudcats Defeat Blue Rocks 2-1
- July 22 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information
- Feliciano Delivers Another Walk-Off as Carolina Outlasts Blue Rocks 5-4
- July 21 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information