Nilsen's Game-Winning Goal Sends Flint Past Kingston Friday
Flint, Mich. - Firebirds' defenseman Hakon Nilsen scored the game-winning goal Friday night en-route to a 3-2 victory over the Kingston Frontenacs. Kingston native Emmet Pierce recorded a goal and an assist for Flint, Evan Vierling tallied two assists and Jack Phibbs found twine in the victory. For Kingston, Ryan Cranford scored on the first shot of the game and Billy Constantinou notched the final goal of the contest but Luke Cavallin stood tall making 30 saves on Kingston's 32 shots.
Ryan Cranford was first to strike Friday earning Kingston an early lead just 20 seconds into the contest. While in the Firebirds' right corner, Cranford jumped on a loose puck and fired a sharp-angle shot that beat Firebirds' netminder Luke Cavallin shortside. Matt Hotchkiss and Adrien Beraldo were credited with the assists. Then, at 2:36, former Kingston skater Cody Morgan intercepted a pass at the right circle and fed it to Pierce who scored farside past Brendan Bonello to tie the contest.
Next Home Game:
Saturday, Flint welcomes the Peterborough Petes for Billet / Host Family Appreciation Night. The Firebirds' host families will be recognized and honored by being handed a bouquet of flowers prior to puck drop Saturday night. Bouquet arrangements are courtesy of Bentley Floral and the Bovan Floral Group in Burton. The players come to Flint from all over the world, near and far, from Detroit and Florida to Toronto and Ottawa, Ontario, and Minsk, Belarus. Host families provide the Firebirds with with amazing support and accommodations all season long.
Saturday is also Girl Scout Night! Girl Scout cookies will be on sale after the game in the Dort Federal Event Center lobby. All 50-50 proceeds will benefit Girl Scouts of the United States of America. Additionally, Girl Scouts can receive the official Firebirds' scout patch if they book as a group through Firebirds' account executive John Notter. John can be contacted via email at [email protected] or by calling (810) 744-0580 ext. 207.
Single game tickets for all Firebirds games are $12 Bronze, $16 Silver, $20 Gold and $26 VIP seating (Seating Chart). All seats are reserved / assigned seating. Fans can purchase tickets by calling (810) 744-0580, in-person at the Dort Federal Event Center Box Office or online at ticketmaster.com here.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2019
- IceDogs Repel Troops' Rally - North Bay Battalion
- Steelheads Erase First Period Deficit to Defeat Colts - Mississauga Steelheads
- Bulldogs Work Hard against 67's But Come Away Empty Handed - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves Bite Too Much for Attack - Owen Sound Attack
- 67's Down Hamilton 5-3 to Move Closer to Franchise Points Record - Ottawa 67's
- Career Firsts from Sredl and Partridge Not Enough in 6-3 Loss to Steelheads - Barrie Colts
- Rangers Fall 8-6 to the Knights - Kitchener Rangers
- Nilsen's Game-Winning Goal Sends Flint Past Kingston Friday - Flint Firebirds
- IceDogs Out-Battle the Troops by a Score of 6-4 - Niagara IceDogs
- Cole Perfetti Named OHL Rookie of the Month - Saginaw Spirit
- OHL Announces Top Performers of the Month for February - OHL
- Luke Richardson Named OHL Goaltender of the Month - Kitchener Rangers
- Tye Felhaber Signs NHL Deal with Dallas Stars - Ottawa 67's
- Steelheads Announce First Ever New-School Night - Mississauga Steelheads
- 67's Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Ottawa 67's
- Bourque Suspended 5 Games by OHL - Owen Sound Attack
- Petes Kick off Western Road Swing with Win - Peterborough Petes
- Colts Take Down the League's Best 6-3 - Barrie Colts
- Attack Doubles Battalion - North Bay Battalion
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Firebirds Receive Commitment from Defenseman Luca D'Amato
- Firebirds' Othmann Named to OHL's First All-Rookie Team
- Dellandrea Awarded Mickey Renaud Captain's Trophy
- Firebirds Receive Commitment from Forward Ty Petrou
- The CW46 to Rebroadcast January's Snowstorm Game Saturday