Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals
Four Different Players Score in Support of Will King's 37 Saves
READING, PA- The Wheeling Nailers rebounded in a big way on Saturday night, as they exacted revenge on the Reading Royals at Santander Arena. Will King made 37 saves, and the Nailers got goals from Kevin Schulze, Reid Gardiner, Troy Josephs, and Cody Wydo, as they picked up the 4-2 road victory.
The goaltenders were in the spotlight from the second the puck hit the ice, as the game was scoreless all the way until the final minute of the second period. During one stretch of play in the middle frame, both teams had high quality opportunities denied, as Mark Dekanich snared Kevin Schulze's shot with the glove, and Will King kicked out the right leg pad to turn aside Ryan Penny's shot off of the rush. However, Schulze got the upper hand on Dekanich with the opening tally. He and Jarrett Burton exchanged passes, with Schulze ultimately blazing a one-timer into the top-right corner of the cage.
Wheeling added to its lead in the opening minute of the third period. Nick Sorkin led Reid Gardiner in on the right side of the offensive zone, and Gardiner proceeded to zip in a wrist shot from the circle. Troy Josephs added what appeared to be an insurance goal at the time but turned out to be the game winner, cashing in on Garrett Meurs' steal in the trapezoid. Adam Schmidt scored Reading's Teddy Bear Toss goal, and was followed by Brian Morgan, as the margin got trimmed down to one, before Cody Wydo's empty netter put the finishing touches on the 4-2 triumph for the Nailers.
Will King turned in a great performance in goal for Wheeling, earning the win with 37 saves on 39 shots. Mark Dekanich took the loss for Reading, giving up three goals on 27 shots.
The Nailers will play two home games before the holidays next weekend. First, on Friday at 7:05, it's an Ugly Sweater Party. Any fan that wears an ugly sweater to the game will receive a buy one, get one free ticket voucher for a future game. Plus, there will be a contest to determine which fan is wearing the ugliest sweater. Then, on Saturday at 7:05, Santa Claus will be in town, making his final preparations for the big night. Both games will be played against the Brampton Beast. The next big promotional game takes place on January 13th, which is Bricks & Kids Night.
To purchase tickets, or to get more information about season tickets, flex plans, group tickets, holiday packs, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2017
- Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Henry's Two Points Power Beast over Gladiators - Brampton Beast
- Norfolk Swaps Defensemen with Jacksonville, Acquires Harrison - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - December 17 - ECHL
- You Are Invited | Grand Opening | Dunkin' Donuts Broken Arrow - Tulsa Oilers
- CORRECTION: Royals Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Royals Preview vs. Adirondack: Reading Looks to Go 7-0-0-0 vs. - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah Squeaks Away with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid to Close Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0 - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Game Recap: Wings Lose in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Recap --- Brittain Shines in Eagles 2-1 Victory over Kansas City - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Arseneau Hat Trick Leads Allen Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Offense out of this Galaxy in 5-1 Home Ice Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Collect 2,344 Bears against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Vallorani the Hero as Beast Clip Wings in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game - Reading Royals
- RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Starrett Returns; Owen Dealt to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Teddy Bear Toss, Christmas Ornament Giveaway, Ugly Sweater Jerseys - Reading Royals
- Rush Power Play Falls Short to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.