Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0
ESTERO, FL - Jeff Jakaitis made 18 saves, while Paul Geiger's shorthanded third period tally guided the South Carolina Stingrays to a 1-0 victory over the Florida Everblades Saturday night at Germain Arena.
The first period was a defensive dog fight with both teams boxing each other out for a majority of the period. The first shot didn't come until almost six minutes into the period during a 'Blades power play. The defensive minded play showed on the scoreboard with both teams scoreless after one period of play and with there being only a combined 11 shots on net.
The Stingrays came away with one of the only quality scoring chances of the opening period late after the 'Blades found themselves trying to kill off the last 26 seconds of the period while on a 5-on-3 penalty kill. Stingrays forward Tim McGauley threw the puck on net with two seconds left and Keegan Kanzig tried to get a stick in the way and deflected the puck off the post before the horn sounded to the end the period.
Despite several opportunities on the power play for both sides, neither team was able to get a goal on the board in the second period of play, as they entered the second intermission deadlocked at 0-0.
The Stingrays broke the tie at 9:53 of the third period, with a nice play by Patrick Gaul who rushed into the Blades end shorthanded with Paul Geiger. Gaul entered the zone and made a 360-spin move and delivered a backhand no-look pass to Geiger for the one timer past Ouellette for the first goal of the game.
The Everblades found themselves on a power play late with 4:55 remaining in the game, but they were once again unable to find the back of the net.
With the 'Blades unable to score on the power play, it forced Florida coach Brad Ralph to pull his goalie with a little over two minutes left in the game. However, but the Blades were unable to get one by Jakaitis. and he walked away with the 1-0 shutout victory, picking up 18 saves. Martin Ouellette played well in the loss, making 14 saves.
The Everblades will be back on home ice on Wednesday against the Jacksonville Icemen. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m. Promotional details listed below.
Upcoming Home Games
Wednesday, December 20, vs. Jacksonville, 7:30 p.m. $2 Wednesday! Enjoy $2 hot dogs, $2 Beer and $2 Wine all night long in the concourse. College students receive a $5 ticket with valid college ID.
Purchase Single Game Tickets at the Florida Community Bank Box Office located at Germain Arena, or online via Ticketmaster by ** CLICKING HERE (https://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/833999?tm_linktm_homeA_header_search)
2017-18 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! Flexible partial plans are available. These packages will best fit your schedule and budget! To view pricing and benefits of all available ticket packages ** CLICK HERE (http://www.floridaeverblades.com/everblades-season-tickets/benefit/)
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2017-18 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage!
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available. For more information on group tickets, call 239-948-7825, or stop by the Everblades offices at Germain Arena Monday thru Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Everblades are the proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes ###
Copyright © 2017 Florida Everblades, All rights reserved.
Images from this story
Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2017
- Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Henry's Two Points Power Beast over Gladiators - Brampton Beast
- Norfolk Swaps Defensemen with Jacksonville, Acquires Harrison - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - December 17 - ECHL
- You Are Invited | Grand Opening | Dunkin' Donuts Broken Arrow - Tulsa Oilers
- CORRECTION: Royals Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Royals Preview vs. Adirondack: Reading Looks to Go 7-0-0-0 vs. - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah Squeaks Away with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid to Close Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0 - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Game Recap: Wings Lose in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Recap --- Brittain Shines in Eagles 2-1 Victory over Kansas City - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Arseneau Hat Trick Leads Allen Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Offense out of this Galaxy in 5-1 Home Ice Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Collect 2,344 Bears against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Vallorani the Hero as Beast Clip Wings in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game - Reading Royals
- RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Starrett Returns; Owen Dealt to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Teddy Bear Toss, Christmas Ornament Giveaway, Ugly Sweater Jerseys - Reading Royals
- Rush Power Play Falls Short to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades Edge Gladiators in Game Two with 3-2 Win
- Everblades Claim Game One with 4-1 Victory over Atlanta
- Logan Roe Named AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Year
- 'Blades Set New Club Records in Regular Season Finale
- 'Blades Win Ninth Straight & Set Club Record for Points in 4-2 Win