Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2
Royals drop first game of season series to Thunder, 6-2
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals dropped consecutive home games for the first time in a 6-2 loss to the Adirondack Thunder Sunday at Santander Arena. The Royals are 9-3-0-0 at home, best in the North Division. Reading is 6-1-0-0 against Adirondack this season.
Adam Schmidt potted his fifth goal of the season to cut Adirondack's edge to 3-1 midway through the second period. Mark Naclerio and Nolan Zajac had the assists. The fourth-year professional has scored in consecutive games. Reading fell behind, 5-1, early in the third on Adirondack's second man-up tally. The Royals were 1-for-3 on the power play. Adirondack was 2-for-3 with a man edge.
Birthday boy Derek Whitmore scored to make it a three-goal game again at 6:49 of the third. All four of his goals have come against Adirondack. Whitmore is 33 years old, eldest on the Royals.
Adirondack's Shane Conacher netted a three-point game (1g, 2a). Pierre-Luc Mercier had three assists.
Mark Dekanich (10 saves, 2 goals allowed) relieved Tyler Parks, who allowed three goals on 11 shots in the first. Chris Nell denied 36 shots in the win.
Reading is at Worcester on Wed., Dec. 20 at 7:00 p.m. Celebrate the holidays with the Royals vs. Manchester on Dec. 22-23 at 7:00 p.m. Season ticket holders receive a team license plate on Dec. 23, courtesy of Tower Health.
The Thunder stunned Reading with three goals in the first. Terrance Wallin (6:20 of the first), Conacher (11:06) and Eric Neiley (PPG, 18:32) scored against Parks on 13 shots. Reading attempted eight shots on Nell.
Schmidt scored Reading's first goal on the man up at 7:02 of the second. He received a pass from Naclerio at the right blue line while in stride and maneuvered net front. Schmidt beat Nell to the left post and backhanded it in.
Connor Riley drove net front and collided the puck in to make it 4-1 Thunder in the final half of the second. Dekanich made seven saves in the second.
Adirondack's Ben Murphy smashed a power-play goal in at 1:44 of the third to make it 5-1 Thunder.
Reading scored five minutes later on a 3-on-2 rush. Hora cut up the middle and fed Huntebrinker at the right circle. He pitched it to Whitmore at the slot. Whitmore dragged and sniped it to the top right pocket at 6:37 of the third.
Paul Rodrigues scored into an empty net in the final minute to solidify the lead.
Hero Night on Sat., Dec. 30
The Royals will wear Captain America jerseys and meet your favorite hero on the concourse on Sat., Dec. 30 at 7:00 p.m. Reading battles the Adirondack Thunder, who will wear Ultron Jerseys.
Meet Jerry "The King" Lawler on Wrestling Night Jan. 5
Meet wrestling legend Jerry "The King" Lawler at Santander Arena and watch the Royals battle the Brampton Beast on Fri., Jan. 5 at 7:00 p.m.
Santa Sacks Holiday Gift
Stuff the stocking with Santa Sacks! Get an autographed Royals puck and come out to three of our biggest games for just $30.
- Sat., Jan. 20 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Slapshot bobblehead giveaway, THON Night, Star Wars jerseys)
- Fri., Feb. 17 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Pink in the Rink, knit scarf giveaway)
- Sat., Mar. 17 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Yannick Tifu number retired, Meet WWE Million Dollar Man)
- Sat., Mar. 24 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Worcester (Kelly Cup Tribute puck giveaway, Autism Awareness jerseys)
- Sat., Apr. 7 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Norfolk (FANdemonium, fan appreciation, fan's choice giveaway)
- Call 610-898-PUCK and tickets are available here.
More $5 Tickets
The Royals host Worcester on Thurs., Dec. 28 at 7:00 p.m. and have $5 Green Zone Tickets. It's A-PHILLY-ation night with special orange jerseys to celebrate our proud affiliation with the Flyers.
- Call 610-898-PUCK (7825) and tickets are available here.
About the Royals
The Royals have been owned by serial entrepreneur Jack Gulati since 2014 and are in their 17th ECHL season. Proudly affiliated with the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and AHL's Lehigh Valley Phantoms, Reading plays in the Santander Arena, located in downtown Reading, PA at 700 Penn Street. The Royals won the Kelly Cup in 2013, have made the playoffs in eight straight seasons and are four-time division champions.
Reading Royals Mobile App
Head to the App Store and Google Play to download the new Reading Royals app on your smartphone! Stay up-to-date with team news, receive notifications and purchase tickets for your next experience at Santander Arena.
All Royals game can be heard on Rumba 1340 AM and the iHeartRadio app by searching "Rumba 1340". The pregame show starts 15 minutes before puck drop. Watch Royals games on ECHL.tv. Reading away games are shown locally on BCTV, channel 15 Comcast, channel 19 Service Electric.
Reading Royals Hockey | Royalshockey.com
Broadcaster, Director of Media Relations
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2017
- Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Henry's Two Points Power Beast over Gladiators - Brampton Beast
- Norfolk Swaps Defensemen with Jacksonville, Acquires Harrison - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - December 17 - ECHL
- You Are Invited | Grand Opening | Dunkin' Donuts Broken Arrow - Tulsa Oilers
- CORRECTION: Royals Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Royals Preview vs. Adirondack: Reading Looks to Go 7-0-0-0 vs. - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah Squeaks Away with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid to Close Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0 - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Game Recap: Wings Lose in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Recap --- Brittain Shines in Eagles 2-1 Victory over Kansas City - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Arseneau Hat Trick Leads Allen Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Offense out of this Galaxy in 5-1 Home Ice Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Collect 2,344 Bears against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Vallorani the Hero as Beast Clip Wings in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game - Reading Royals
- RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Starrett Returns; Owen Dealt to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Teddy Bear Toss, Christmas Ornament Giveaway, Ugly Sweater Jerseys - Reading Royals
- Rush Power Play Falls Short to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- G Muse and F Swavely Recalled to Lehigh Valley
- Royals' Season Ends in Game 4 of North Division Semifinals to Monarchs, 3-0
- North Division Semifinals Game 4 Preview: Manchester at Reading
- D Hora Returned to Reading
- Royals Offer Doctor's Note for Fans If Game 4 Reaches OT