Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets
INDIANAPOLIS - The Fort Wayne Komets struck with a pair of goals in the second and third periods to defeat the Indy Fuel Saturday night at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum, 5-2. In the process, the Fuel saw their season-high 4-game win streak halted as the Komets completed the sweep of the two-games' home-and-home series between the two Indiana rivals. Both Fort Wayne victories were by identical 5-2 results this weekend.
For a second consecutive night, the Fuel gained a 1-0 lead when Mike Neal, as he did last night in Fort Wayne, delivered the game's first goal with this one coming on the power play at the 6:42 mark of the opening period. However, the lead, once again, was short-lived when Shawn Szydlowski blazed his first of his 3-goal "hat trick" less than 4-minutes later to knot the contest at 1-1.
After falling behind 2-1 in the middle stanza, the Fuel battled back when center Cam Reid tied it with his 7th of the campaign at the 10:47 mark. However, once again, the Komets countered swiftly and immediately as Szydlowski uncorked his second of the night on the Komets first power play of the game. Szydlowski's strike was stoked a mere 1:38 after Indy had deadlocked it.
The Szydlowski PPG sparked a spree of 3-unanswered Fort Wayne goals with the latter two gathered in the third period as Mason Baptista connected on a shorthanded goal before Szydlowski completed his "hat trick" to cement the Fort Wayners latest success at the expense of the Fuel.
Szydlowski (3-1-4) and Baptista (1-3-4) spearheaded the victors attack and goaltender Mike Hauser made 45-saves as the Fuel outshot the Ks, 47-46. Indy's 47-shots were the most for this season. Fuel goaltender Matt Tomkins faced a Fort Wayne 46-shots salvo, absorbing the loss for the home team.
The Fuel are now 3(0-3-0) against the Komets thus far this season, having captured only one of the last 12-meetings; 12(1-8-3). The third period has been the Komets calling card against the Fuel. Through 3-games this season the Komets have outscored the Fuel in the third period, 8-1 and 31-5 over the last dozen decisions between the two teams.
The Fuel will continue their pre-Christmas schedule 3-games' home stand Wednesday night, December 20th at 7:05 pm when they tackle Kalamazoo at Indiana Farmers Coliseum on "Report Card Night." Then on Saturday night, December 23rd, the Fuel will see Cincinnati for the first time this season in a 7:35 showdown before the brief Christmas break.
Single-Game tickets are now available for the entire 2017-18 Fuel season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Fans can also take advantage of a wide variety of Ticket Plans by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2017-18 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and âLike' the Fuel on Facebook.
-- INDYFUELHOCKEY.COM -- Brent Hollerud Director of Marketing Indiana Hockey Club, LLC 1202 East 38th Street Indianapolis, IN 46205 Direct (317) 608-2689 www.indyfuelhockey.com
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2017
- Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Henry's Two Points Power Beast over Gladiators - Brampton Beast
- Norfolk Swaps Defensemen with Jacksonville, Acquires Harrison - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - December 17 - ECHL
- You Are Invited | Grand Opening | Dunkin' Donuts Broken Arrow - Tulsa Oilers
- CORRECTION: Royals Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Royals Preview vs. Adirondack: Reading Looks to Go 7-0-0-0 vs. - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah Squeaks Away with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid to Close Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0 - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Game Recap: Wings Lose in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Recap --- Brittain Shines in Eagles 2-1 Victory over Kansas City - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Arseneau Hat Trick Leads Allen Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Offense out of this Galaxy in 5-1 Home Ice Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Collect 2,344 Bears against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Vallorani the Hero as Beast Clip Wings in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game - Reading Royals
- RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Starrett Returns; Owen Dealt to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Teddy Bear Toss, Christmas Ornament Giveaway, Ugly Sweater Jerseys - Reading Royals
- Rush Power Play Falls Short to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.