Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2
Norfolk, VA.- Grant Besse scored in the second period to unleash a barrage of teddy bears, but Orlando topped the Admirals 7-2 on Saturday night.
Tommy Schutt scored his second shorthanded goal of the season midway late in the second period, tying him for second among all ECHL skaters.
Just like the Admirals did on Friday, the Solar Bears jumped out to a fast start on Saturday night. Only 0:16 into regulation Orlando was able to gather in the rebound of the opening shot and tuck the puck past Ty Reichenbach giving Orlando a 1-0 lead. Seven minutes later the lead doubled when Kristian Pospisil redirected JC Campagna's shot past Reichenbach to give Orlando a 2-0 lead. Just over a minute later Max Novak wristed his tenth goal of the season past Reichenbach, ending the netminder's night. Reichenbach finished the night allowing three goals on ten shots. Norfolk trailed 3-0 after the first.
The teams traded goals in the second period with Norfolk finally getting on the board late in the period. Trailing 4-0 Grant Besse unleashed the falling Teddy Bears at 15:06 of the middle frame. Norfolk won a faceoff back to the point where Don Olivieri tapped a pass over to Besse who connected on a spinning slap shot that beat Cal Heeter, cutting the lead to three. After forty minutes of play the Admirals were still trailing by a three-goal deficit.
Norfolk got a quick start to the third cutting the lead to two goals just 1:28 into the period. Jordan Abt set Tommy Schutt up on a shorthanded break-away. Schutt quickly pulled the puck onto his backhand before tucking it five-hole on Heeter. The goal was Schutt's second shorthanded goal of the season. Schutt's tally would be the last one that the Admirals mustered. Orlando rounded out the scoring with a trio of goals, pushing the score to 7-2. Norfolk finished the night with a season-high 43 shots on goal in the loss.
The Admirals and Solar Bears will face off three more times next week on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings in Orlando.
FOR MORE INFO: Contact Admirals Media Manager Isaac Berky at 757-640-1212 ex. 15 (office),765-610-7777 (cell) or at firstname.lastname@example.org
-- Isaac Berky
Norfolk Admirals Hockey
201 E. Brambleton Ave.
Norfolk, VA 23510
Ph: (757) 640-1212 ext. 15
Fax: (757) 622-0552
Primary Email: email@example.com
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2017
- Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Henry's Two Points Power Beast over Gladiators - Brampton Beast
- Norfolk Swaps Defensemen with Jacksonville, Acquires Harrison - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - December 17 - ECHL
- You Are Invited | Grand Opening | Dunkin' Donuts Broken Arrow - Tulsa Oilers
- CORRECTION: Royals Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Royals Preview vs. Adirondack: Reading Looks to Go 7-0-0-0 vs. - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah Squeaks Away with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid to Close Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0 - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Game Recap: Wings Lose in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Recap --- Brittain Shines in Eagles 2-1 Victory over Kansas City - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Arseneau Hat Trick Leads Allen Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Offense out of this Galaxy in 5-1 Home Ice Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Collect 2,344 Bears against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Vallorani the Hero as Beast Clip Wings in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game - Reading Royals
- RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Starrett Returns; Owen Dealt to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Teddy Bear Toss, Christmas Ornament Giveaway, Ugly Sweater Jerseys - Reading Royals
- Rush Power Play Falls Short to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.