Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game
Reading, PA - Adam Schmidt scored halfway through the third to make the bears rain on Teddy Bear Toss night, but the Wheeling Nailers scored the first three goals and defeated the Reading Royals, 4-2, Saturday at Santander Arena. The Royals will visit Tower Health on Mon., Dec. 18 to hand out bears and brighten children's' faces. Reading will pass out bears to needy children at more than a dozen locations before the holidays.
The Royals scored two goals in last 11 minutes of the third period but failed to tie despite 39 shots on Will King (win, 37 saves). The win moves Wheeling two points ahead of Reading (30 points) for second in the North Division.
Wheeling's Kevin Schulze scored the opening goal on the power play in the final minute of the second. It was the 20th shot Mark Dekanich faced. Including Friday's shutout (50 saves), Dekanich made 69 straight saves. He lost despite 24 stops.
Reading plays Adirondack Sunday at 4 p.m., featuring $5 Green Zone tickets, magnet photo frame giveaway and dollar dogs, presented by Tower Health.
Schmidt made the teddy bears fly with a snipe from the right circle to make it 3-1 Wheeling with 10:21 left. The first-year Royals player has four goals this season. Ryan Penny and Mark Naclerio netted the helpers. Brian Morgan pulled the Royals within one with 5:14 remaining for his first ECHL goal. Again, the Royals picked on King's short-side with a right-circle shot. Morgan has two points in his first two ECHL games.
Schulze pelted a power-play goal from the high slot over Dekanich's right shoulder with 42 seconds left in the second to make it 1-0 Nailers. The Nailers' Reid Gardiner scored again at :58 of the third. Troy Josephs scored the game-winning goal at 7:44 of the third. Cody Wydo had the empty-net goal to stunt the Royals in the final minute.
The Reading man up was 0-for-3. Wheeling was 0-for-1 on the power play.
Santa Sacks Holiday Gift
Stuff the stocking with Santa Sacks! Get an autographed Royals puck and come out to three of our biggest games for just $30.
- Sat., Jan. 20 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Slapshot bobblehead giveaway, THON Night, Star Wars jerseys)
- Fri., Feb. 17 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Pink in the Rink, knit scarf giveaway)
- Sat., Mar. 17 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Yannick Tifu number retired, Meet WWE Million Dollar Man)
- Sat., Mar. 24 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Worcester (Kelly Cup Tribute puck giveaway, Autism Awareness jerseys)
- Sat., Apr. 7 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Norfolk (FANdemonium, fan appreciation, fan's choice giveaway)
- Call 610-898-PUCK and tickets are available here.
More $5 Tickets
The Royals are pleased to announce $5 tickets in the Green Zone to two more upcoming games in December!
- Sun., Dec. 17 at 4:00 p.m. vs. Adirondack (dollar dogs and player photo) | Thurs., Dec. 28 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Worcester (special Flyers jerseys, aPHILLYation night)
Call 610-898-PUCK (7825) and tickets are available here.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2017
- Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Henry's Two Points Power Beast over Gladiators - Brampton Beast
- Norfolk Swaps Defensemen with Jacksonville, Acquires Harrison - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - December 17 - ECHL
- You Are Invited | Grand Opening | Dunkin' Donuts Broken Arrow - Tulsa Oilers
- CORRECTION: Royals Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Royals Preview vs. Adirondack: Reading Looks to Go 7-0-0-0 vs. - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah Squeaks Away with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid to Close Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0 - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Game Recap: Wings Lose in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Recap --- Brittain Shines in Eagles 2-1 Victory over Kansas City - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Arseneau Hat Trick Leads Allen Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Offense out of this Galaxy in 5-1 Home Ice Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Collect 2,344 Bears against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Vallorani the Hero as Beast Clip Wings in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game - Reading Royals
- RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Starrett Returns; Owen Dealt to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Teddy Bear Toss, Christmas Ornament Giveaway, Ugly Sweater Jerseys - Reading Royals
- Rush Power Play Falls Short to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- G Muse and F Swavely Recalled to Lehigh Valley
- Royals' Season Ends in Game 4 of North Division Semifinals to Monarchs, 3-0
- North Division Semifinals Game 4 Preview: Manchester at Reading
- D Hora Returned to Reading
- Royals Offer Doctor's Note for Fans If Game 4 Reaches OT