RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE
(RAPID CITY, SD) - The Rapid City Rush, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Minnesota Wild, announced today that the team has acquired veteran goaltender Shane Owen from the Wichita Thunder for future considerations. Owen will make his Rush debut tonight in the series finale with the Utah Grizzlies tonight, and will wear #31.
Owen comes to the Rush after skating this season with BIK Karlskoga in the Allsvenskan and the Wichita Thunder in the ECHL. In the Allsvenskan, the 6'1", 185-pound net-minder posted a 3-10-0 record in 13 games with a 2.88 GAA and .909 SV%. He added an additional 2 games in Wichita, going 0-2-0 with a 4.16 GAA and .887 SV%.
A native of Shanty Bay, Ontario, Owen is no stranger to the ECHL, or "AA" hockey, having skated in 197 games between the former CHL and ECHL. In his ECHL career, Owen has 145 games to his credit, and an all-time record of 58-63-4-9, with a 2.92 GAA, .907 SV%, and 5 shutouts to his name with the South Carolina Stingrays, Florida Everblades, Alaska Aces, Utah Grizzlies, Indy Fuel, Stockton Thunder, Elmira Jackals, and Thunder. His breakout season as a professional came in the last season of the Central Hockey League, where in 52 games with the Missouri Mavericks he posted a 35-15-1 record with 1 shutout, a 2.58 GAA, and .917 SV%. Not only were his 35 wins the best in the CHL that season, and his GAA and SV% third-best in the league, Owen finished as a finalist for CHL Goaltender of the Year, and was named to the All-CHL team for his outstanding campaign. Prior to playing professionally, Owen played in the OHL with the Erie Otters and in the QMJHL with the Moncton Wildcats, the latter of which he won a QMJHL championship with in 2010.
The Rush and Grizzlies will conclude their pair of matchups tonight at the Maverik Center, with puck drop slated for 7:05 p.m. MST.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2017
- Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Henry's Two Points Power Beast over Gladiators - Brampton Beast
- Norfolk Swaps Defensemen with Jacksonville, Acquires Harrison - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - December 17 - ECHL
- You Are Invited | Grand Opening | Dunkin' Donuts Broken Arrow - Tulsa Oilers
- CORRECTION: Royals Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Royals Preview vs. Adirondack: Reading Looks to Go 7-0-0-0 vs. - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah Squeaks Away with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid to Close Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0 - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Game Recap: Wings Lose in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Recap --- Brittain Shines in Eagles 2-1 Victory over Kansas City - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Arseneau Hat Trick Leads Allen Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Offense out of this Galaxy in 5-1 Home Ice Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Collect 2,344 Bears against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Vallorani the Hero as Beast Clip Wings in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game - Reading Royals
- RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Starrett Returns; Owen Dealt to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Teddy Bear Toss, Christmas Ornament Giveaway, Ugly Sweater Jerseys - Reading Royals
- Rush Power Play Falls Short to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.