Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win
NORFOLK, Va. - The Orlando Solar Bears (11-12-4-0) erupted for three goals in the first period and never looked back as they roared to a 7-2 win over the Norfolk Admirals (8-17-1-0) on Saturday night at the Norfolk Scope.
The Solar Bears were paced by a three-point performance from Joshua Winquist (2g-1a) in the third period, as the visitors recorded a pair of power-play goals in a 29-second span to put the game out of reach for Norfolk.
Click here for the box score.
Orlando: Michael Turner (Tayler Thompson, Darryl Bootland), Kristian Pospisil (J.C. Campagna, Sam Jardine), Max Novak (Joe Perry), Aleksandr Mikulovich (Campagna, Nolan Valleau), Joshua Winquist [PP] (Valleau, Novak), Chris LeBlanc [PP] (Winquist), Winquist
Goaltender: Cal Heeter (42/44)
Norfolk: Grant Besse (Don Olivieri), Tommy Schutt [SH] (Jordan Abt, Domenic Alberga)
Goaltender: Ty Reichenbach (7/10), Jamie Murray (27/31)
ON THE SCORESHEET
Michael Turner opened the scoring for Orlando just 16 seconds into the contest when he knocked in a Darryl Bootland rebound past Ty Reichenbach for his second of the season. Darryl Bootland earned the primary assist on Turner's goal for his second assist and third point of the season. The veteran also dropped the gloves with Norfolk's Max Cook at 15:17 of the third period. Tayler Thompson picked up the secondary assist on Turner's goal, lobbing the puck to Bootland from the defensive zone. Kristian Pospisil made the score 2-0 when he drove towards the net and tipped J.C. Campagna's shot from the right circle past Reichenbach at 7:23 of the first period. The goal was the rookie's eighth of the season. J.C. Campagna enjoyed a two-assist performance, setting up the goals from Pospisil and Aleksandr Mikulovich. The rookie now has three assists in his last two games. Sam Jardine earned the secondary assist on Pospisil's goal. Max Novak became the first Solar Bears player this season to reach double-digit goals when he buried his 10th at 8:33 of the first to chase Reichenbach from the Norfolk net. Novak later picked up an assist on Joshua Winquist's power-play goal, giving him consecutive games with both a goal and an assist. Joe Perry created the rebound opportunity for Novak's goal and earned the assist to establish a two-game point streak (1g-1a). Aleksandr Mikulovich made his return to the lineup after sitting out the previous five games and tallied his second goal of the season at 7:12 of the second period to give Orlando a 4-0 lead when he cranked a shot from the high slot past Jamie Murray. Nolan Valleau had a two-assist evening, extending his point streak to three games (1g-3a) by helping set up Mikulovich's goal and Joshua Winquist's first goal of the evening. Joshua Winquist factored into all three Solar Bears goals in the third period, tallying his seventh and eighth goals at 8:12 and 18:40 respectively, while assisting on Chris LeBlanc's power-play tally. Winquist's first goal came during a 5-on-3 power play, as the forward snapped a shot from the right circle past Murray. Winquist capped the scoring when his centering attempt to Sam Jardine deflected off the skate of T.J. Melancon and into the Admirals net. For Winquist, the game marked his first multi-goal performance of the season. Chris LeBlanc netted Orlando's second power-play goal at 8:41 of the third period for his sixth goal of the season to make the score 6-2 after he jammed in a pass from Winquist at the crease. Cal Heeter picked up his eighth win of the season for the Solar Bears to improve to 8-6-2, making a season-high 42-saves on 44 shots against.
The Solar Bears concluded their season-high 10-game road trip with a 5-4-1-0 record (.550 win percentage). Orlando is 9-4-2-0 (.667 win percentage) over its last 15 games. With the win, the Solar Bears now have the same number of points (26) as the fourth-place Atlanta Gladiators. Orlando's three goals in the first period represent a new season-high for goals in the opening stanza, surpassing the previous mark of two, which had already occurred six times this season. The seven goals scored by the Solar Bears matched the season-high originally set on Nov. 19 at Greenville, and the five-goal margin of victory set a new season-high for Orlando. Orlando allowed a season-high 44 shots against to Norfolk. The Solar Bears went 2-for-7 on the power play, and a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill. Winquist led Orlando with six shots on goal. The Solar Bears are back at home to face the Norfolk Admirals on Wednesday, Dec. 20 at 7 p.m. at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center. Single-game tickets for the 2017-18 season are now on sale at the Amway Center box office and ticketmaster.com.
1) Joshua Winquist - ORL
2) Max Novak - ORL
3) Grant Besse - NOR
About the Orlando Solar Bears:
The Orlando Solar Bears are in their sixth season of operation in the ECHL, the premier "AA" hockey league in North America, and are the proud affiliate of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and the AHL's Toronto Marlies. The Solar Bears are owned and operated by the Orlando Magic and the DeVos Family, and play at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center, the 2012 Street and Smith's Sports Business Journal Sports Facility of the Year.
Festive Four Packs, presented by CenturyLink, are now available for purchase! Pick four games and get gift certificates to Sonny's BBQ, Dick's Sporting Goods, QDOBA Mexican Eats and a FREE center ice ticket to the Orlando Solar Bears Teddy Bear Toss game on Saturday, December 23! Packs start as low as $64 and include $68 in FREE gifts! Click here or call (407) 951-8200 for more information.
Officially licensed Orlando Solar Bears replica team jerseys, apparel, and headwear can be purchased at orlandosolarbearshockey.com/shop.
Connect with us on social media
Orlando Solar Bears | 8701 Maitland Summit Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32810
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2017
- Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Henry's Two Points Power Beast over Gladiators - Brampton Beast
- Norfolk Swaps Defensemen with Jacksonville, Acquires Harrison - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - December 17 - ECHL
- You Are Invited | Grand Opening | Dunkin' Donuts Broken Arrow - Tulsa Oilers
- CORRECTION: Royals Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Royals Preview vs. Adirondack: Reading Looks to Go 7-0-0-0 vs. - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah Squeaks Away with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid to Close Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0 - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Game Recap: Wings Lose in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Recap --- Brittain Shines in Eagles 2-1 Victory over Kansas City - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Arseneau Hat Trick Leads Allen Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Offense out of this Galaxy in 5-1 Home Ice Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Collect 2,344 Bears against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Vallorani the Hero as Beast Clip Wings in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game - Reading Royals
- RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Starrett Returns; Owen Dealt to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Teddy Bear Toss, Christmas Ornament Giveaway, Ugly Sweater Jerseys - Reading Royals
- Rush Power Play Falls Short to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.