Cyclones Hold off Mallards
CINCINNATI, Ohio (December 16, 2017) - Justin Danforth scored two goals and added an assist as the host Cincinnati Cyclones (15-9-1) held off the Quad City Mallards (8-15-1) 4-2 Saturday night.
Danforth put Cincinnati in front just 23 second into the game and the Cyclones would keep the lead the rest of the night despite repeated Mallard comeback bids. Danforth buried the early opener off a Jesse Schultz centering pass. Danforth doubled the Cyclone advantage by pouncing on a rebound at 8:04 the second period.
A furious finish to the second would see the Mallards battle back within one only for the Cyclones to quickly reestablish a two goal gap. The Mallards' Sam Warning hammered Willie Raskob's centering feed home to reduce the deficit to 2-1 at 17:11, but just one minute, 52 seconds later- with only 57 seconds left in the period- Eric Knodel snapped a shorthanded goal past Mallard goaltender Eric Hartzell from the slot.
Undaunted, the Mallards trimmed the margin to 3-2 just 29 seconds into third period with Matt Pohlkamp's blast from the right wing circle. However, the Cyclones yet again forged in front by two when Justin Vaive launched the puck in under the cross bar at 7:09 of the third and this time the Cyclones would make the two goal lead stick.
The Mallards next play at home next Wednesday night at 6:35 p.m. against the Fort Wayne Komets. Fans can enjoy $1 10-ounce beers from TaxSlayer Center concession stands during all Mallards Wednesday home games this season.
Tickets for next Wednesday's contest and all Mallards regular season home games are now on sale at the TaxSlayer Center box office, Ticketmaster toll free charge-by-phone (1-800-745-3000) and ticketmaster.com. The box office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
About the Quad City Mallards
One of the winningest teams in all of minor league hockey, the Mallards competed in the United Hockey League from 1995 through 2007; in the International Hockey League in 2009-10; and in the Central Hockey League from 2010 through 2014. The Mallards' proud history has seen them capture the UHL's Colonial Cup Championship three times (1997, 1998, 2001) and secure that league's Tarry Cup four times (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002) for the best overall regular season record. In 2001, the Mallards made professional hockey history, recording their sixth consecutive season with 50 or more wins, a feat that has yet to be matched. The TaxSlayer Center provides a unique environment for hockey and features one-of-a-kind seating areas such as the Nest for groups and functions and the exclusive Drake Club. For more information on the Quad City Mallards or for Mallards tickets go to www.myqcmallards. net . Fans can also follow the Mallards via Twitter at twitter.com/myqcmallards and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/qcmallards%20.
-Quad City Mallards-
-- Brian Lavelle
Director of Communications and Broadcasting
Quad City Mallards
Proud ECHL affiliate of Vegas Golden Knights and Chicago Wolves
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 18, 2017
- Royals Drop First Game of Season Series to Thunder, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Henry's Two Points Power Beast over Gladiators - Brampton Beast
- Norfolk Swaps Defensemen with Jacksonville, Acquires Harrison - Norfolk Admirals
- ECHL Transactions - December 17 - ECHL
- You Are Invited | Grand Opening | Dunkin' Donuts Broken Arrow - Tulsa Oilers
- CORRECTION: Royals Preview vs. Adirondack - Reading Royals
- Royals Preview vs. Adirondack: Reading Looks to Go 7-0-0-0 vs. - Reading Royals
- Solar Bears Thrash Admirals for 7-2 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Utah Squeaks Away with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Snaps Losing Skid to Close Road Trip - Wichita Thunder
- Jakaitis Earns Shutout as Rays Top 'Blades 1-0 - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Suffer Second Straight Setback to Komets - Indy Fuel
- Game Recap: Wings Lose in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Five Games - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Recap --- Brittain Shines in Eagles 2-1 Victory over Kansas City - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Arseneau Hat Trick Leads Allen Past Tulsa - Tulsa Oilers
- Railers Offense out of this Galaxy in 5-1 Home Ice Win over Thunder - Worcester Railers HC
- Solar Bears Spoil Teddy Toss, Top Admirals 7-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Collect 2,344 Bears against Nailers - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Vallorani the Hero as Beast Clip Wings in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Nailers Rebound to Foil the Royals - Wheeling Nailers
- Bears Fly But Nailers Take Game - Reading Royals
- RUSH ACQUIRE OWEN IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Starrett Returns; Owen Dealt to Rapid City - Wichita Thunder
- Teddy Bear Toss, Christmas Ornament Giveaway, Ugly Sweater Jerseys - Reading Royals
- Rush Power Play Falls Short to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.