Nailers Rally Past Walleye Behind Larmi's 47 Saves
TOLEDO, OH- The Wheeling Nailers saved their best for last on Sunday afternoon, as they visited the Toledo Walleye at Huntington Center. Trailing 1-0 most of the way, Wheeling rattled off four goals in a row in the third period, and got a fantastic goaltending performance from Emil Larmi, who made 47 saves, as the Nailers earned a 4-1 road victory.
Both teams had lots of chances in the first period, as they combined for 28 shots on goal. The lone puck to find the twine came off a Toledo stick at the 4:14 mark. Steve Oleksy swiped the puck into the slot for Branden Troock, who dribbled a shot through Emil Larmi's legs. Former Nailer Kevin Spinozzi also recorded an assist on the opening strike.
After a scoreless second period, Wheeling rallied with a huge final frame, erasing the small deficit to come away with a big victory. Blake Siebenaler got the outburst started on the power play, when he banked a shot off goaltender Pat Nagle from beneath the goal line. Renars Krastenbergs put the Nailers in the lead on a breakaway, as he took a Yushiroh Hirano lead pass and swept a backhander through Nagle's legs. Brandon Hawkins provided insurance with the teams playing 4-on-4, as he buried a drop pass from Graham Knott. Alec Butcher put the finishing touches on the 4-1 triumph with a shorthanded empty netter.
Emil Larmi was brilliant in goal for Wheeling, as he denied 47 of the 48 shots he faced. Pat Nagle made 29 saves on 32 shots in the loss for the Walleye.
The Nailers will play two more road games before the All-Star Break next weekend, when they visit Kalamazoo on Friday at 7:00, then Indy on Saturday at 6:05. Wheeling's next home game is Friday, January 24th at 7:05, which is also a Frosty Friday against the Cincinnati Cyclones. Cincinnati sticks around for Saturday, January 25th, which is Pups & Pucks, as fans can bring their dog to the game. The next Big 6 Promotional Game is Country Roads on Saturday, February 1st against the Orlando Solar Bears, with a special 7:35 start time. Friends & Family 4 Packs presented by WTRF-7 are available for all Saturday home games, and feature four tickets, four Tito's Sloppy Doggs, and a $10 voucher to the Team Shop for $52. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2020
- Walleye Set Season-High for Shots on Goal in Loss to Nailers - Toledo Walleye
- Oilers Ride Eriksson Ek's First Career Shutout to Win over Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes Week with OT Loss in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Rally Past Walleye Behind Larmi's 47 Saves - Wheeling Nailers
- Steelheads Close Road Trip with 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Rays Flip Script on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Pile up 42 Shots During 2-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Finish Three in Three Weekend with 5-3 Win over Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Finish Week with Four Points, Fall, 5-3 at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Mariners Allow Season Low 20 Shots in Loss to Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Everblades, AHL's Admirals Swap Smith, Magwood - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Shutout the Mariners, Earn Ninth Straight Victory - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Luukkonen Recalled to Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- F Mitchell Returns to Royals, D Drake Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Royals Start Second Half Looking to Solve Railers - Reading Royals
- Oilers Lose Early Lead in Loss to Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Vaive's Hat Trick Leads 'Clones to Series Finale Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Three-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Beast 4-3 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Solar Bears Split Weekend Series with Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Edged by Fuel as Third-Period Surge Falls Short - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.