Royals Finish Week with Four Points, Fall, 5-3 at Worcester
Worcester, MA - The Reading Royals tied the game three times, but Worcester Railers' forward Ben Thomson scored a go-ahead goal with 9:01 left in the third to give the Railers the lead for good, 5-3, Sunday at the DCU Center. Nic Pierog and Thomson scored twice. Pierog bagged his second goal into the empty net with 1:04 to go.
Frank DiChiara scored twice for Reading and has 12 goals and a team-leading 37 points this season.
Felix SandstrÃ¶m made 32 saves in defeat. Ian Milosz won with 29 blocks (3 GA) and is 2-0-0-0 against the Royals this season.
Reading scored their third power-play goal of the series to tie the game at one at 4:37 of the first. DiChiara tattooed the puck over the shoulder of Milosz top shelf. With 2:22 to go in the period, Nic Pierog buried his fifth short-handed goal of the season and the Royals trailed by one after one.
Corey Mackin's left-post tuck tied the game at two with 11:50 to go in the second. After a Ben Thomson goal for Worcester, DiChiara scored his second of the game to equalize it at three with 52.6 seconds to go in the middle period.
Reading starts a five-game homestand vs. Adirondack Fri., Jan. 17 at 7:00 p.m. The upcoming homestand includes a 4-for-48 game (Jan. 17), dollar deal day (Jan. 19), youth jersey giveaway and (MLK Day - Jan. 20). Single-game tickets and mini-plans are on sale by visiting royalshockey.com/promotions, calling 610-898-7825 and visiting Santander Arena and The Weidenhammer Box Office at 700 Penn Street, Reading, PA.
Tied it thrice
The Royals fought back three times to tie the score.
Reading tied the game the first time when DiChiara responded early. It came three minutes after Arnaud Durandeau tallied. Once Worcester took a 2-1 advantage, Mackin tied it ten minutes later with helpers from Garret Cockerill and Derian Hamilton. DiChiara's left-circle goal was his second of the game and came four minutes after Ben Thomson provided Worcester a 3-2 lead.
The Railers led by one four times before the empty-net strike gave Worcester the game's only multi-goal advantage.
Upcoming Home Games: royalshockey.com/promotions
Fri Jan. 17 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Adirondack (4-for-$48 game | Opioid Awareness Night): 4 tickets, 4 sodas and 4 burgers for $48 by calling 610-898-7825 | $1 Sprite beverage special | Toiletry Drive | DVD Drive
Sun., Jan. 19 at 4:00 p.m. vs. Worcester ($1 Deal Day): $1 Hot Dogs, $1 Nachos, $1 Sodas | $2 Kids Tickets (12 and younger) | 1 free Applebee's Meal and free kids ticket if you present a report card with an "A" grade on it
Mon., Jan. 20 at 1:00 p.m. vs. Worcester (Kids Jersey Giveaway | MLK Day): First 1,000 kids receive a kids jersey | Free Parking from Reading Parking Authority | Kids are off from school on MLK Day | 1 kids ticket, 1 guaranteed kids jersey, 1 hat, 1 Applebee's kids meal ($15) | Kids Club Game| Postgame team meet-and-greet on the ice
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2020
- Walleye Set Season-High for Shots on Goal in Loss to Nailers - Toledo Walleye
- Oilers Ride Eriksson Ek's First Career Shutout to Win over Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes Week with OT Loss in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Rally Past Walleye Behind Larmi's 47 Saves - Wheeling Nailers
- Steelheads Close Road Trip with 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Rays Flip Script on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Pile up 42 Shots During 2-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Finish Three in Three Weekend with 5-3 Win over Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Finish Week with Four Points, Fall, 5-3 at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Mariners Allow Season Low 20 Shots in Loss to Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Everblades, AHL's Admirals Swap Smith, Magwood - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Shutout the Mariners, Earn Ninth Straight Victory - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Luukkonen Recalled to Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- F Mitchell Returns to Royals, D Drake Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Royals Start Second Half Looking to Solve Railers - Reading Royals
- Oilers Lose Early Lead in Loss to Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Vaive's Hat Trick Leads 'Clones to Series Finale Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Three-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Beast 4-3 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Solar Bears Split Weekend Series with Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Edged by Fuel as Third-Period Surge Falls Short - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Reading Royals Announce Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Campaign
- Reading Royals Introduce FanSaves App to Connect Their Fans and Sponsors
- Reading Royals and Met-Ed Announce Joint Volunteer & Community Engagement Initiatives for 2020-2021
- Reading Royals Youth Hockey Association Announces Upcoming Clinics and Hockey Camps for Summer 2021
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return