Growlers Shutout the Mariners, Earn Ninth Straight Victory
The Newfoundland Growlers extended their overall winning streak to 9 straight games with a 2-0 victory over the Maine Mariners at the Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, Maine. Completing a tough three-games in three-days road trip that was plagued by gruelling travel delays.
Brady Ferguson opened the scoring on the powerplay just 1:04 into the second period after sniping a rebound over the glove of Mariners goaltender Connor LaCouvee. Just 2 minutes later, Ferguson sprung St. John's native, Marus Power on a breakaway where he dangled the puck behind LaCouvee to give the Growlers a 2-0 lead.
Both teams traded chances in the third period but Parker Gahagen turned aside all 34 shots thrown his way to secure his first pro shutout and the Growlers ninth straight victory.
The Growlers return to Mile One Centre on Tuesday night where they have not lost a game since October 19th, a total of 14 wins in a row.
Brady Ferguson registered a goal and an assist
Parker Gahagen recorded his first pro shutout
The three stars were 3 - M. Power (NFL), 2 - B. Ferguson (NFL) and 1 - P. Gahagen (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers are back at Mile One Centre as they try to extend their home winning streak to FIFTEEN GAMES Tuesday night versus the Kansas City Mavericks. Puck drop is 7:00 p.m. Tickets are available now at the Mile One Centre box office, by phone at 576-7657 or online at mileonecentre.com.
Newfoundland Growlers (27-10-0-0) at Maine Mariners (17-16-0-1)
Sunday, January 12th - Cross Insurance Arena - Portland, Maine
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
1 - 0 1 2nd NFL 1:04 B. Ferguson (15) G. Estephan, E. Neugold PP V 8 9 10 22 29 H 16 21 22 32
2 - 0 2 2nd NFL 3:20 M. Power (16) B. Ferguson V 3 9 10 21 22 H 8 12 21 23 92
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2020
- Walleye Set Season-High for Shots on Goal in Loss to Nailers - Toledo Walleye
- Oilers Ride Eriksson Ek's First Career Shutout to Win over Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes Week with OT Loss in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Rally Past Walleye Behind Larmi's 47 Saves - Wheeling Nailers
- Steelheads Close Road Trip with 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Rays Flip Script on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Pile up 42 Shots During 2-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Finish Three in Three Weekend with 5-3 Win over Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Finish Week with Four Points, Fall, 5-3 at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Mariners Allow Season Low 20 Shots in Loss to Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Everblades, AHL's Admirals Swap Smith, Magwood - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Shutout the Mariners, Earn Ninth Straight Victory - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Luukkonen Recalled to Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- F Mitchell Returns to Royals, D Drake Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Royals Start Second Half Looking to Solve Railers - Reading Royals
- Oilers Lose Early Lead in Loss to Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Vaive's Hat Trick Leads 'Clones to Series Finale Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Three-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Beast 4-3 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Solar Bears Split Weekend Series with Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Edged by Fuel as Third-Period Surge Falls Short - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.