Vaive's Hat Trick Leads 'Clones to Series Finale Win
Rapid City, SD - The Cincinnati Cyclones (23-9-6-0) collected a 6-2 win over the Rapid City Rush on Saturday night, in the finale of their three-game series. Forward Justin Vaive led the way with three goals, while forwards Nate Mitton, John Edwardh, and Darik Angeli each recorded lone tallies.
Cincinnati struck first just past the midway mark of the first when a point shot from defenseman Matt Spencer was tipped into the net on the way through by Mitton to put the 'Clones up, 1-0.
After Mateo Gennaro tied the game up for the Rush, 1-1, 13:36 into the frame, the Cyclones regained the lead about a minute and a half later when Vaive crashed the net following a shot on goal from defenseman Justin Baudry and scored to put Cincinnati back in front, 2-1.
Cincinnati added one more at the buzzer when Edwardh snapped a shot from the left side following a deflection off a Rush defender to give the Cyclones a 3-1 advantage after 20 minutes.
The captain struck again 7:26 into the second when he tipped a point shot from defenseman Scott Dornbrock in past Rush goaltender Alex Sakellaropoulos to put Cincinnati on top, 4-1.
A mere 40 seconds later, Rapid City trimmed their deficit back to two when forward Peter Quenneville had a shot deflect off of his face an in to cut the Cyclones lead to 4-2, after two periods.
Vaive capped off his hat trick at 9:07 of the third while on the power play, when he got his stick on a shot from forward Jesse Schultz and tipped it in past Sakellaropoulos to give the Cyclones a 5-2 advantage. Cincinnati added the dagger 36 seconds later when Angel launched a shot from the slot and in to seal the 6-2 'Clones win.
Cincinnati outshot the Rush, 32-23, with goaltender Michael Houser stopping 21 in the win. The Cyclones return home on Friday night to take on the Ft. Wayne Komets. Face-off is slated for 7:35pm ET.
The 2019-20 Cincinnati Cyclones season is upon us! The defending Brabham Cup champion Cyclones are looking to build off of last season's success, and we invite YOU to join us for the ride! Single game tickets, along with season and group ticket packages for every game this season are on sale now, and you can get more info by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com !
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2020
- Walleye Set Season-High for Shots on Goal in Loss to Nailers - Toledo Walleye
- Oilers Ride Eriksson Ek's First Career Shutout to Win over Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes Week with OT Loss in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Rally Past Walleye Behind Larmi's 47 Saves - Wheeling Nailers
- Steelheads Close Road Trip with 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Rays Flip Script on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Pile up 42 Shots During 2-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Finish Three in Three Weekend with 5-3 Win over Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Finish Week with Four Points, Fall, 5-3 at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Mariners Allow Season Low 20 Shots in Loss to Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Everblades, AHL's Admirals Swap Smith, Magwood - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Shutout the Mariners, Earn Ninth Straight Victory - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Luukkonen Recalled to Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- F Mitchell Returns to Royals, D Drake Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Royals Start Second Half Looking to Solve Railers - Reading Royals
- Oilers Lose Early Lead in Loss to Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Vaive's Hat Trick Leads 'Clones to Series Finale Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Three-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Beast 4-3 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Solar Bears Split Weekend Series with Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Edged by Fuel as Third-Period Surge Falls Short - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.