Thunder Closes Week with OT Loss in Tulsa
TULSA, OK (Jan. 12) - Ian McNulty scored at 2:25 of overtime to push Tulsa past Wichita, 1-0, on Sunday afternoon at the BOK Center.
Evan Weninger made 41 saves in the losing effort for the Thunder
The first period got off to a slow start with plenty of whistles and icings. Tulsa had 13 shots on net, but the majority of them were from the perimeter.
In the second, the stalemate continued as Wichita picked up the pace in the shot department. The Thunder fired 12 on net while the Oilers had 13 on Weninger.
Late in the third, both teams had scoring opportunities from in-close as Weninger and Olle Erikkson Ek stood their ground during the net-mouth scrambles.
McNulty popped home a rebound in the extra session after a shot from Cam Knight hit Weninger's leg pad and found its way across to the edge of the left circle for the game-winner.
Wichita picks up 7 of a possible 8 points over the course of the week and points in four-straight games. It was also the first time this season that Wichita entered extra time with both teams failing to find the net. Weninger was named as the game's third star for his solid effort.
The Thunder continues their seven-game road trip on Wednesday night in Rapid City starting at 8:05 p.m. CST.
The Thunder are excited to be the host of the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 12, 2020
- Walleye Set Season-High for Shots on Goal in Loss to Nailers - Toledo Walleye
- Oilers Ride Eriksson Ek's First Career Shutout to Win over Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Closes Week with OT Loss in Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Rally Past Walleye Behind Larmi's 47 Saves - Wheeling Nailers
- Steelheads Close Road Trip with 4-2 Win over Komets - Idaho Steelheads
- Rays Flip Script on Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Pile up 42 Shots During 2-1 Win in Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Railers Finish Three in Three Weekend with 5-3 Win over Reading - Worcester Railers HC
- Royals Finish Week with Four Points, Fall, 5-3 at Worcester - Reading Royals
- Mariners Allow Season Low 20 Shots in Loss to Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Everblades, AHL's Admirals Swap Smith, Magwood - Florida Everblades
- Growlers Shutout the Mariners, Earn Ninth Straight Victory - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - January 12 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Luukkonen Recalled to Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- F Mitchell Returns to Royals, D Drake Recalled to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Royals Start Second Half Looking to Solve Railers - Reading Royals
- Oilers Lose Early Lead in Loss to Utah - Tulsa Oilers
- Vaive's Hat Trick Leads 'Clones to Series Finale Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Three-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Beast 4-3 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Solar Bears Split Weekend Series with Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Edged by Fuel as Third-Period Surge Falls Short - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.