Mustangs Take Third Straight over Rockies, 8-5
BILLINGS, Mont. - The Billings Mustangs (11-5, 26-28) beat the Grand Junction Rockies (7-8, 26-27) for the third straight night, topping them 8-5 in front of 2,359 at Dehler Park on Wednesday.
Grand Junction took their first lead of not only the game but the series in the top of the second with one run on one hit, two walks and a hit batter. Colin Simpson was grazed by a pitch to start the inning. Later, with the bases loaded and two outs, he would be walked in on the second walk of the inning.
Eric Yang tied the game for the Mustangs in the fourth with his team-leading 24th RBI. With runners at first and second and one out, Yang singled through the left side to score Quin Cotton and even the game at 1-1.
The Mustangs then took a lead they would never surrender in the fifth on an RBI fielder's choice reach for Reyny Reyes to score Cash Case who was walked to lead off the inning. The Rockies' pitching staff walked six Mustang batters in total, all of whom would come in to score.
Leading 2-1 going to the bottom of the seventh, the Mustangs blew open their lead with six runs on just three hits and four walks. Two batters were walked with the bases loaded in the inning while Yang and Reyes both delivered RBI singles.
Grand Junction made a late push with four runs over their last two innings at the plate, but it would be too little to overcome the seven-run deficit.
Facing his old organization, Alec Byrd threw two innings of shutout relief for the Mustangs, striking out three and allowing two hits.
The Mustangs and the Rockies will play the finale of their four-game series Thursday, Aug. 15. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. MDT at Dehler Park.
Mustangs take third straight over Rockies, 8-5
W: Carreno (4-5)
L: Amarista (3-4)
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Jackson Leads Owlz to Sweep of Chukars - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Mustangs Complete Sweep with Largest Win of Season - Billings Mustangs
- Reyes Homers, Osprey Downed by Raptors, 13-3 - Missoula Osprey
- Osprey Fly Home for Second-To-Last Homestand of Season - Missoula Osprey
- Rocky Mountain Vibes Penultimate Homestand Begins Saturday - Rocky Mountain Vibes
- Ogden Offense Overwhelms Osprey - Ogden Raptors
- White's Homer Secures Fifth Straight Win - Orem Owlz
- White Blasts Owlz to Fifth Straight Win - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Two-Out Knocks Guide Voyagers to Victory - Great Falls Voyagers
- Mustangs Take Third Straight over Rockies, 8-5 - Billings Mustangs
- GJ's Comeback Falls Short - Grand Junction Rockies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.