Mud Hens Club Six Homers in 21-4 Rout of Cubs
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Toledo Mud Hens scored early and often against the Iowa Cubs on Saturday, erupting for six home runs en route to a 21-4 victory at Principal Park.
The series-clinching win gives the Mud Hens (66-47) a three-game lead over Omaha in the Midwest Division standings following the latter's 21-4 shellacking at St. Paul.
In total, the Mud Hens set season highs for runs scored (21), hits (21) and margin of victory (17). Daz Cameron was one of seven Toledo batsmen to record two or more hits, going 4-for-5 with a double, two solo homers and three runs. Josh Lester added a pair of solo shots for his second consecutive multi-homer game, while Kody Clemens ended the night 3-for-5 with three doubles, a walk, six RBI and two runs. Isaac Paredes went 3-for-5 with a double, a three-run homer and four runs, as Ryan Kreidler finished 1-for-1 with a three-run homer, a sacrifice fly and a walk.
Ricardo Pinto tied for the Triple-A East lead with his 10th win of the campaign, becoming the first Toledo pitcher to reach double-digits in a single season since Chad Bell won 10 games for the club in 2016. Meanwhile, Locke St. John and Joe Navilhon each contributed a scoreless inning out of the Hen Pen.
The Mud Hens homered three times in the top of the first inning to seize a commanding 6-0 lead. Cameron began the hit parade when he sent the game's first pitch over the wall in center for his fifth home run of the year. The line kept moving as Riley Greene singled through the right side before Spencer Torkelson walked on four pitches to put runners on first and second with nobody out. Paredes then lined a three-run homer to left to give Toledo a 4-0 advantage.
The opening frame continued as Clemens ripped a double to right-center, advanced to third on a Zack Short flyout and scored when Kreidler lifted a sacrifice fly to deep center. From there, Lester promptly crushed a solo homer to left-center to build a 6-0 cushion.
The Mud Hens picked up where they left off with seven more runs an inning later. Cameron slugged a leadoff homer for the second time in as many innings to make it a 7-0 ballgame. With the bases loaded and one down, Greene came home on a wild pitch later in the frame to extend Toledo's lead to 8-0. Clemens then put the visitors in double-figures when he smashed a two-base hit to left to plate Torkelson and Greene. After Short reached on a walk, Kreidler lifted a three-run homer to right-center to open up a 13-0 margin.
The Mud Hens scored twice in the top of the third before adding a pair of runs in the fourth. Clemens added another two-run double to plate Torkelson and Paredes to make it 15-0. In his next trip to the plate, Clemens drew a bases-loaded walk to bring home Grayson Greiner, while Cameron eventually scored Toledo's 17th run on a wild pitch.
The Cubs (46-67) got on the board with a two-run homer in the bottom of the fourth, but Lester answered with his second solo homer of the game in the top of the fifth to give the Mud Hens an 18-2 lead.
Now ahead by an 18-3 count, Toledo added a three-spot in the top of the eighth. After loading the bases with nobody out, the Mud Hens pushed a run across as Clemens grounded out to first to bring home Greene. Short then hammered a two-run double off the left-field wall to push the lead to 21-3. Trayce Thompson's second homer of the night wrapped up the scoring in the bottom of the same stanza as the Mud Hens cruised to a 21-4 result.
The Mud Hens conclude their 13-game road trip on Sunday with their final regular-season meeting against the Cubs. First pitch from Principal Park is set for 2:08 p.m. EDT.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Sounds Drop Series Finale to Redbirds - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Beat Sounds in Season Series Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Comeback Falls Short as They Lose to Durham in Extras - Norfolk Tides
- Khalil Lee Hits Two Homers, Mets Roll to 10-2 Win over Bisons in Series Finale - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Fall to Mets in Homestand Finale, 10-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Walk off with 7-6 Ten-Inning Win over Tides - Durham Bulls
- Chasers Take Series Finale over Saints in Extras - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Saints Drop Finale in Extras to Storm Chasers, 3-2 in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- One Run Not Enough as I-Cubs Drop Third Straight - Iowa Cubs
- Mud Hens Thrash Cubs to End Lengthy Road Trip - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Snap Skid with Comeback Win Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Edged to Prevent Sweep - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tribe Cashes in on Extended Inning While Pitching Staff Rolls to Shutout - Louisville Bats
- Indians Shut out Bats, 3-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Matheny Homers in Eighth, WooSox Take Series over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- September 12 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Toledo - Iowa Cubs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (53-59) at Louisville Bats (49-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 12, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mud Hens Club Six Homers in 21-4 Rout of Cubs - Toledo Mud Hens
- Toledo Scores Early and Often to Beat Iowa 21-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Allows Season-High 21 Runs in Loss to St. Paul - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.