Omaha Allows Season-High 21 Runs in Loss to St. Paul
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- The Omaha Storm Chasers allowed a season-high 21 runs on a season-high-tying 18 hits, losing to the St. Paul Saints, 21-4, on Saturday at CHS Field. It was the first time Omaha (63-50) had allowed at least 20 runs in a game since Aug. 2, 2019, in a 23-8 loss at Reno.
St. Paul (58-55) began the scoring in the first inning, when right-hander Brandon Barker (Loss, 1-3) issued a four-pitch, bases-loaded walk. The Saints broke the game open in the second with seven runs on seven hits, including three home runs. JT Riddle hit a two-run homer to begin the inning before Gilberto Celestino drove in a run with a single to make it 4-0. Jimmy Kerrigan followed with a three-run homer and Sherman Johnson capped the inning with a solo home run.
All four of Omaha's runs came in the third inning. After left-fielder Rudy Martin reached on a fielder's choice, second baseman Lucius Fox doubled down the left-field line to plate the Chasers' first run and extend his hitting streak to a season-best five games. Fox scored two batters later on a single by first baseman Nick Pratto. Third baseman Emmanuel Rivera drove in the final run of the inning with a triple off the right-field fence.
The Saints responded with three runs in the bottom of third inning against right-hander Andres Nuñez on a two-run passed ball and a solo home run by Mark Contreras. St. Paul added six runs in the fourth on four hits. First, Drew Stankiewicz doubled to drive in Johnson. Next, Riddle reached on a fielder's choice that allowed Damek Tomscha to score from third. BJ Boyd, who scored five times in the game, followed with an RBI single before scoring on a single by Celestino two batters later. Kerrigan ended the inning with an RBI double.
St. Paul's final four runs came in the sixth against right-hander Carlos Sanabria. After three straight singles to start the inning, Sanabria issued a bases-loaded walk for the Saints' 18th run. Johnson brought in another run with a fielder's choice and Tomscha drove in the Saints' 20th and 21st runs with an RBI double to right-center field.
The Storm Chasers continue their six-game series against the St. Paul Saints (MIN) at CHS Field in St. Paul, Minn. on Sunday, when left-hander Jake Kalish (2-5, 7.09) faces St. Paul left-hander Byran Sammons (1-2, 5.54). First pitch is set for 2:05 p.m. and coverage begins at 1:45 p.m. CT with the Sarpy County Tourism Pregame Show on 1180 The Zone.
After a week-long series against the Saints, the Omaha Storm Chasers return to Werner Park for a six-game series against the Iowa Cubs (CHC) from Sept. 14-19 and a five-game series against the Indianapolis Indians (PIT) as part of the Triple-A Final Stretch from Sept. 22-26, the final home games of the 2021 season. A special ticket package for the Triple-A Final Stretch is available now. For tickets and more information, visit omahastormchasers.com or call the Werner Park Ticket Office at (402) 738-5100 and follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Sounds Drop Series Finale to Redbirds - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Beat Sounds in Season Series Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Comeback Falls Short as They Lose to Durham in Extras - Norfolk Tides
- Khalil Lee Hits Two Homers, Mets Roll to 10-2 Win over Bisons in Series Finale - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Fall to Mets in Homestand Finale, 10-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Walk off with 7-6 Ten-Inning Win over Tides - Durham Bulls
- Chasers Take Series Finale over Saints in Extras - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Saints Drop Finale in Extras to Storm Chasers, 3-2 in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- One Run Not Enough as I-Cubs Drop Third Straight - Iowa Cubs
- Mud Hens Thrash Cubs to End Lengthy Road Trip - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Snap Skid with Comeback Win Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Edged to Prevent Sweep - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tribe Cashes in on Extended Inning While Pitching Staff Rolls to Shutout - Louisville Bats
- Indians Shut out Bats, 3-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Matheny Homers in Eighth, WooSox Take Series over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- September 12 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Toledo - Iowa Cubs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (53-59) at Louisville Bats (49-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 12, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mud Hens Club Six Homers in 21-4 Rout of Cubs - Toledo Mud Hens
- Toledo Scores Early and Often to Beat Iowa 21-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Allows Season-High 21 Runs in Loss to St. Paul - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- Pratto Named 2021 Rawlings Gold Glove Award Winner
- Melendez Voted Top Offensive Player in Minor League Baseball for 2021
- Six Omaha Alums Earn 2021 World Series Title with Atlanta
- Storm Chasers Announce First Pitch Times for 2022 Home Games
- Nine Omaha Alumni to Compete in 2021 World Series