Matheny Homers in Eighth, WooSox Take Series over IronPigs
WORCESTER, M.A. - Tate Matheny's two-run eighth inning blast gave the Worcester Red Sox (64-49) a 3-1 victory over the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (50-62) on Sunday afternoon, clinching a WooSox series victory for the third straight week.
Matheny stepped to the plate following a Jeremy Rivera double in the bottom the eighth, saw one pitch from reliever Jakob Hernandez and then crushed the next deep to center for a go-ahead home run. The ball travelled 481 feet, landing over the berm to the left of the batter's eye for Matheny's fifth Triple-A long ball of the season.
Rivera got the scoring started with a solo home run over the right-centerfield wall in the third inning. The shortstop had zero four-baggers entering yesterday, and his swing today marked his second in two days to put the home team up 1-0.
Worcester starter Daniel Gossett was strong, allowing one run over six innings along with five strikeouts. Lehigh Valley's run came in the fifth on a walk, stolen base and wild pitch to bring home Cornelius Randolph.
Matt Barnes pitched the seventh in his first Major League rehab assignment appearance, tossing a scoreless inning with one strikeout and one hit batsman in a 12-pitch frame.
Martín Pérez followed with a runless eighth, a 16-pitch inning with one hit and one strikeout. Pérez got the win after Matheny's two-run shot in the bottom of the eighth.
With the victory, Worcester has now won 16 times in its last 19 games.
The WooSox are off Monday and begin a six-game series Tuesday at 6:35 p.m. against the Lehigh Valley IronPigs at Polar Park. Radio coverage starts live at 6:20 p.m. on 100 FM The Pike and the WooSox Radio Network. Worcester's Raynel Espinal (10-4, 3.41) is the scheduled starter.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 12, 2021
- Sounds Drop Series Finale to Redbirds - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Beat Sounds in Season Series Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Comeback Falls Short as They Lose to Durham in Extras - Norfolk Tides
- Khalil Lee Hits Two Homers, Mets Roll to 10-2 Win over Bisons in Series Finale - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Fall to Mets in Homestand Finale, 10-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Walk off with 7-6 Ten-Inning Win over Tides - Durham Bulls
- Chasers Take Series Finale over Saints in Extras - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Saints Drop Finale in Extras to Storm Chasers, 3-2 in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- One Run Not Enough as I-Cubs Drop Third Straight - Iowa Cubs
- Mud Hens Thrash Cubs to End Lengthy Road Trip - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings Snap Skid with Comeback Win Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Edged to Prevent Sweep - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Tribe Cashes in on Extended Inning While Pitching Staff Rolls to Shutout - Louisville Bats
- Indians Shut out Bats, 3-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Matheny Homers in Eighth, WooSox Take Series over IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- September 12 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Toledo - Iowa Cubs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (53-59) at Louisville Bats (49-63) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 12, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mud Hens Club Six Homers in 21-4 Rout of Cubs - Toledo Mud Hens
- Toledo Scores Early and Often to Beat Iowa 21-4 - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Allows Season-High 21 Runs in Loss to St. Paul - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Red Sox Stories
- Yorke, Duran Lead Next Wave of Red Sox Stars
- WooSox to Preserve Pawtucket Tradition by Sending Two Kids from Its Boys & Girls Club to the World Series
- WooSox and Canal District Alliance Present Inaugural "Trick-Or-Treat at Polar Park"
- First College Football Game at Polar Park - the EBW Classic - One Week Away
- WooSox to Celebrate October Baseball at Polar Park; Fans Can Watch Red Sox-Yankees Wild Card Game