Montero scores in dying seconds as 'Caps defeat Dynamo in dramatic fashion
VANCOUVER, BC - Fredy Montero came off the bench to score a dramatic game-winner in the dying moments as Vancouver Whitecaps FC dealt a crucial blow to Houston Dynamo's playoff hopes with a 2-1 victory on Saturday night.
DOWNLOAD: Postmatch interviews with Marc Dos Santos, Andy Rose, Scott SutterIt was a frantic finish to an eventful evening at BC Place that saw the two Western Conference foes go back and forth in the second half, with Inbeom Hwang and Mauro Manotas trading goals after halftime.
The first half saw the 'Caps manage the match well, showing composure with their possession but just unable to translate it into a goal. It did not take long into the second frame, however, for the home side to be rewarded when Yordy Reyna's direct free kick attempt was handled by Manotas in the Dynamo wall to win the 'Caps a penalty. The call stood following video review, and Hwang slotted in the ensuing kick from the spot with ease to open the scoring.
Houston would answer in the 78th minute. The Dynamo had the ball pinging from side to side, eventually leading to a long shot from Maynor Figueroa. 'Caps goalkeeper Zac MacMath parried the initial attempt away but Manotas was alert to the rebound to draw the visitors level.
The 'Caps did not relent, receiving a boost from their bench in both Montero and Theo Bair. With mere seconds remaining in regulation time, Ali Adnan pushed forward and connected with Bair, who did well to keep possession inside the box, before setting up Montero on the left side for his seventh goal of the year.
Whitecaps FC look to string consecutive wins next Saturday when they host Columbus Crew SC. Kickoff at BC Place is at 2 p.m. Visit whitecapsfc.com for ticket information.
CORNERS FOR HEARING: Whitecaps FC had three corners in tonight's match, which means Connect Hearing will donate $300 to Hear the World Foundation.
LEGENDS & STARS CHARITY MATCH, PRESENTED BY DAILY HIVE: Prior to the MLS fixture, the club held the third annual Legends & Stars charity soccer match. Among this year's players was Vancouver-born actor Jacob Tremblay, best known for his starring roles in Room, Wonder, and most recently Good Boys. He was joined by joined Jensen Ackles from Supernatural, Ross Lynch from Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, as well as cast from The 100, Riverdale, Siren, A Million Little Things, and more. All proceeds will be donated to Whitecaps FC community partners. MLS Commissioner Don Garber was at hand, presenting a $10,000 donation to Whitecaps FC community partners at halftime of the charity match.
WFC Man of the Match: Inbeom Hwang
Referee: Robert Sibiga
54' - VAN - Inbeom Hwang (penalty kick)
78' - HOU - Mauro Manotas
90' - VAN - Fredy Montero (Theo Bair)
Possession: VAN 48.5% - HOU 51.5%
Shots: VAN 6 - HOU 18
Shots on Goal: VAN 4 - HOU 5
Saves: VAN 5 - HOU 2
Fouls: VAN 8 - HOU 9
Offsides: VAN 1 - HOU 2
Corners: VAN 3 - HOU 6
30' - VAN - Ali Adnan
42' - HOU - Matías Vera
66' - VAN - Inbeom Hwang
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
18.Zac MacMath; 23.Scott Sutter, 2.Doneil Henry ©, 13.Derek Cornelius, 53.Ali Adnan; 4.Inbeom Hwang, 15.Andy Rose, 31.Russell Teibert; 29.Yordy Reyna (19.Lass Bangoura 90'+5'), 87.Tosaint Ricketts (12.Fredy Montero 82'), 33.Michaell Chirinos (50.Theo Bair 71')
Substitutes not used
39.Sean Melvin, 6.Jon Erice, 9.Joaquin Ardaiz, 20.Jasser Khmiri
23.Joe Willis; 18.José Bizama, 2.Alejandro Fuenmayor, 15.Maynor Figueroa, 3.Adam Lundkvist; 22. Matías Vera, 27.Boniek García ©; 10.Tomás Martínez (17.Alberth Elis 61'), 11.Tommy McNamara (8.Memo Rodríguez 71'), 13.Christian Ramirez (21.Ronaldo Peña 83'); 9.Mauro Manotas
Substitutes not used
1.Tyler Deric, 7.DaMarcus Beasley, 16.Kevin Garcia, 24.Darwin Cerén
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2019
- Montero scores in dying seconds as 'Caps defeat Dynamo in dramatic fashion - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Suffers 1-0 Loss to FC Cincinnati - Montreal Impact
- LAFC Draws Philadelphia Union 1-1 on Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Lions Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Earn 3-3 Draw against New England - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Columbus 3-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Union earn a point at home against LAFC - Philadelphia Union
- Allan Cruz's early goal leads FCC over Montreal in shutout win - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Play Orlando City SC to 3-3 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Falls to Chicago Fire 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. New York Red Bulls - September 15, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Blanks FC Dallas 4-0, Moves Within Two Points of Playoff Position - Chicago Fire
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 1 San Jose Earthquakes - New York City FC
- Chris Wondolowski scores goal No. 158 of his MLS career in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Visits Minnesota United FC in Maiden Voyage to Allianz Field - Real Salt Lake
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Look to Build on Midweek Victory against Vancouver Whitecaps - Houston Dynamo
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2020
- RSL snap 'Caps three-match undefeated streak in season finale
- Instant classic: 'Caps defeat Galaxy in dramatic high-scoring affair
- Winners Announced for 2019 Whitecaps FC BMO Player Awards Ceremony
- Montero scores late again as 'Caps draw 1-1 vs. Columbus Crew SC