Atlanta United Falls to Columbus 3-1
ATLANTA - Atlanta United fell 3-1 at home to Columbus Crew SC in front of 68,056 fans at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Saturday night. Josef Martinez extended his record goalscoring streak to 14 MLS matches after finding the opener in the 19th minute, but three second-half goals won it for Columbus. Despite the loss, Atlanta clinched a playoff berth thanks to Montreal's loss to FC Cincinnati.
After an even beginning to the match, Atlanta broke through from Martinez after buildup play from that started with Emerson Hyndman collecting a Brad Guzan outlet near midfield. The midfielder then found Pity MartÃ-nez with a through ball on the left side. Pity sent a cross towards the six-yard box where Josef Martinez beat his defender near post and scored his 24th goal of the season. With that goal, the Venezuelan striker extended his MLS record to 14-straight games with a goal.
Atlanta nearly doubled its lead in the 34th minute. Josef and Pity had a quick passing exchange at the top of the box. Pity MartÃ-nez then dribbled past one defender and curled a left-footed shot inches past the left post. In the final minute of the half, Justin Meram beat his defender on the left side and took a shot that was saved by Eloy Room.
The start of the second half belonged to the visitors as Columbus equalized in the 53rd minute. Gyasi Zardes led a break down the left and played the ball to Luis Diaz. His shot was saved by Brad Guzan, but the rebound fell to Zardes, who rifled the ball into the top left corner from 10 yards out. Crew SC then took the 2-1 lead in the 60th minute on another counterattack. Diaz was left open on the right side and dribbled towards the edge of the box. He cut inside and curled a left-footed strike past the diving Guzan to the far corner for the lead.
Columbus secured all three points in the 85th minute. Diaz sent a cross to the far post where Miles Robinson attempted to clear the ball out for a corner. The ball bounced off his shin and into the back of the net past Guzan to make it 3-1 in favor of Crew SC.
Atlanta United (15-11-3, 48 points) returns to action Wednesday, Sept. 18 against FC Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium (7:30 p.m. EST, FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Atlanta United 1, Columbus Crew 3
Shots: 15-12 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 4-4
Corner kicks: 5-4 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 11-6 Columbus
Clearances: 26-6 Columbus
Possession: 64-36 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 84-72 Atlanta
ATL - Josef Martinez (Pity Martinez, Emerson Hyndman) 19' [HIGHLIGHT]
CLB - Gyasi Zardes (unassisted) 53' [HIGHLIGHT]
CLB - Luis Diaz (unassisted) 60" [HIGHLIGHT]
CLB - Miles Robinson (own goal) 85' [HIGHLIGHT]
CLB - Artur (yellow) 39'
ATL - Eric Remedi (yellow) 67'
ATL - Julian Gressel (yellow) 88'
CLB - Pedro Santos (yellow) 90'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; Franco Escobar, Miles Robinson, Florentin Pogba, Julian Gressel; Eric Remedi (Hector Villalba - 70'), Darlington Nagbe, Emerson Hyndman, Justin Meram (Dion Pereira - 70'), Pity Martinez (Brandon Vazquez - 79'); Josef MartÃ-nez.
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Michael Parkhurst, Mo Adams, Jeff Larentowicz.
COLUMBUS CREW STARTING LINEUP
Eloy Room; Harrison Afful, Jonathan Mensah ©, Aboubacar Keita, Connor Maloney; David Guzman, Artur, Luis Diaz, Pedro Santos (Wil Trapp - 90'), Youness Mokhtar (Luis Argudo - 63'); Gyasi Zardes (Romario Williams - 89').
Substitutes not used: Joon Kempin, Alex Crognale, David Accam, Jordan Hamilton.
Alan Kelly (referee), Logan Brown (assistant), Eric Weisbrod (assistant), Ismail Elfath (fourth), Edvin Jurisevic (VAR), Peter Balciunas (assistant VAR)
Atlanta United secured a third-straight MLS Playoff spot tonight thanks to Montreal dropping points to FC Cincinnati tonight
Josef Martinez scored his 24th goal of the season and extended his MLS record goalscoring streak to 14 consecutive matches
Emerson Hyndman recorded his second assist in MLS this season
Pity MartÃ-nez delivered his eighth assist of the year
Brandon Vazquez made his first MLS appearance since July 21
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2019
- Montero scores in dying seconds as 'Caps defeat Dynamo in dramatic fashion - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Suffers 1-0 Loss to FC Cincinnati - Club de Foot Montreal
- LAFC Draws Philadelphia Union 1-1 on Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Lions Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Earn 3-3 Draw against New England - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Columbus 3-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Union earn a point at home against LAFC - Philadelphia Union
- Allan Cruz's early goal leads FCC over Montreal in shutout win - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Play Orlando City SC to 3-3 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Falls to Chicago Fire 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. New York Red Bulls - September 15, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Blanks FC Dallas 4-0, Moves Within Two Points of Playoff Position - Chicago Fire
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 1 San Jose Earthquakes - New York City FC
- Chris Wondolowski scores goal No. 158 of his MLS career in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Visits Minnesota United FC in Maiden Voyage to Allianz Field - Real Salt Lake
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Look to Build on Midweek Victory against Vancouver Whitecaps - Houston Dynamo
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Signs Ben Lundgaard from ATL UTD 2
- Atlanta United Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule
- Atlanta United unveils "The BLVCK" Kit for 2021 season
- Atlanta United Signs Midfielder Franco Ibarra
- Atlanta United to Unveil New Primary Kit in Advance of Fifth Season