Three Points: Houston Dynamo Look to Build on Midweek Victory against Vancouver Whitecaps
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo are in British Columbia today to face the Vancouver Whitecaps at BC Place.
Houston looks to build on a midweek victory over Minnesota United at BBVA Stadium, which snapped a seven-game winless streak. Mauro Manotas scored the game winning-goal in the 37th minute and tallied an assist seven minutes later when he found Christian Ramirez behind the Loons backline. Joe Willis finished with four saves to secure his third clean sheet of the year and first since July 3.
Houston won the first meeting between both clubs on March 16 with a brace from Dynamo Academy product Memo Rodriguez and a goal from the penalty spot from Alberth Elis. Vancouver leads the all-time series with a 7-5-3 record and look to remain unbeaten in Canada against the Dynamo. Vancouver enters Saturday's game with a 6-0-2 record at home against Houston. The Dynamo were held to a 2-2 draw at BC Place last year as a stoppage-time goal secured a point for Vancouver.
The Dynamo return to Houston on Saturday, Sept. 21 to host Nani and Orlando City SC for Soccer Kicks Cancer Night.
Houston Dynamo at Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Saturday, Sept. 14 - 9:00 p.m. CDT
KUBE-TV - Glenn Davis, Eddie Robinson
TelExitos 47.2 - Alex Parra, Daniela Rodriguez
Univision Radio 1010 AM - Daniel Mejia & Lester Gretsch
Here are three key points ahead of Saturday's game:
DYNAMIC DUO - Mauro Manotas found the back of the net and tallied and assist in Houston's victory over Minnesota on Wednesday. The Colombian international found Christian Ramirez late in the first half for his first goal at BBVA Stadium. This was the first time since Aug. 11 that the duo shared the pitch from the beginning of the game and interim head coach Davy Arnaud looked to get the most our of his duo by shifting to a 4-4-2. With the return of Alberth Elis and with weapons like Memo Rodriguez, Niko Hansen and Ronaldo Peña - Houston will look to capitalize on a backline that has conceded the most goals in the Western Conference with 53.
INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS RETURN FROM FIFA BREAK -- Elis one of five players returning from international duty. The Honduran forward joined Maynor Figueroa for two friendlies in with Honduras, Michael Salazar and Darwin Ceren reported for Nations League action, Jose Bizama joined Chile for two friendlies in North America and Kiki Struna joined Slovenia for UEFA EURO qualifiers.
VANCOUVER LOOKS TO 2020 - The Whitecaps enter Saturday's game with a three-game losing streak after falling 3-1 to New York City FC prior to the FIFA break. With the loss, Vancouver was the first Western Conference team to be eliminated from the postseason. The Whitecaps will look to Yordy Reyna and Fredy Montero to spark an offense that has been limited to 30 goals this season, the second fewest in the league. The attacking duo has combined for 13 goals and three assists this season. Defensively, goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau has made 107 saves this season, third most in the league and has earned five clean sheets.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2019
- Montero scores in dying seconds as 'Caps defeat Dynamo in dramatic fashion - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Suffers 1-0 Loss to FC Cincinnati - Club de Foot Montreal
- LAFC Draws Philadelphia Union 1-1 on Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Lions Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Earn 3-3 Draw against New England - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Columbus 3-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Union earn a point at home against LAFC - Philadelphia Union
- Allan Cruz's early goal leads FCC over Montreal in shutout win - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Play Orlando City SC to 3-3 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Falls to Chicago Fire 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. New York Red Bulls - September 15, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Blanks FC Dallas 4-0, Moves Within Two Points of Playoff Position - Chicago Fire FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 1 San Jose Earthquakes - New York City FC
- Chris Wondolowski scores goal No. 158 of his MLS career in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Visits Minnesota United FC in Maiden Voyage to Allianz Field - Real Salt Lake
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Look to Build on Midweek Victory against Vancouver Whitecaps - Houston Dynamo FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Host FC Dallas in Final Leg of Texas Derby
- Houston Dynamo FC Goalkeeper Michael Nelson Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week
- Houston Dynamo FC Match against FC Dallas on September 18 Moved to 8:30 p.m. CDT
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Travel West to Face LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo FC Forward Fafa Picault Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week