Chicago Fire Blanks FC Dallas 4-0, Moves Within Two Points of Playoff Position
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (Sept. 14, 2019) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club (9-12-10, 37 points) scored four first-half goals to defeat FC Dallas (12-11-7, 43 points) 4-0 at SeatGeek Stadium on Saturday afternoon. CJ Sapong tallied his second brace of the season, while midfielder Przemys?aw Frankowski and forward Nemanja Nikoli? each recorded a goal for the Fire. With the result, the Men in Red are now within two points of a playoff position with additional Eastern Conference matches to be played later today.
The four goal performance in the first half marked the second-most goals the Fire has scored in a half this season. The Fire previously scored five goals in the first half against Atlanta United FC on July 3.
The first goal came in the seventh minute when Sapong's hustle and determination caused a miscommunication between defender Matt Hedges and goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez on a back pass to the goalkeeper. As a result, Sapong quickly pounced on the wayward back pass, touching it around Gonzalez before calmly converting his first goal of the game (WATCH).
Less than 10 minutes later, Chicago doubled its lead when Frankowski scored for a second straight game, notching his third goal of the season. After receiving the ball from defender Jonathan Bornstein on the left wing, midfielder Brandt Bronico cut inside on his right foot and whipped a cross through the 18-yard box to Frankowski, who scored a one-time finish from just inside the six-yard box in the 16th minute (WATCH).
The team's third goal came in the 29th minute when Sapong secured his brace from a well-placed corner kick from midfielder Nicolás Gaitán. The corner kick from Gaitán was whipped to the near post for Sapong, who headed the ball through Gonzalez's legs (WATCH). The header marked Sapong's 12th goal of the season - the second-most in a single season in his career - and his fourth headed goal of the 2019 campaign. Additionally, Gaitán recorded his 11th assist of the season on the play, which ranks as the most assists in a single season for a Fire player since 2008.
After attempts from Gaitán and Frankowski were pushed off the post by Gonzalez, the Fire eventually added a fourth goal in the 39th minute when Nikoli? scored his third goal in his last four games. The goal occurred after Frankowski found the ball on the right side of the box and volleyed it to Nikoli?, who took one touch to score from close range (WATCH).
In the 63rd minute, the Fire came close to adding to their tally when Sapong and midfielder Dax McCarty both hit the post on back-to-back chances. The Fire looked dangerous off another corner kick from Gaitán when McCarty connected with the cross and headed it off the post. Following a clearance from Dallas, defender Johan Kappelhof smartly headed the ball back into the 18-yard box for Sapong, who also rattled the post with a headed attempt.
On a defensive end, the Fire notched its eighth clean sheet of the season and sixth clean sheet at home.The team's six clean sheets at home are tied for the second-most in the league in 2019.
Looking ahead, the Fire's next match will take place against FC Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 21. Scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. CT, the match will be broadcast live on ESPN+ and transmitted locally in Spanish on TUDN Radio Chicago 1200 AM.
Chicago Fire 4:0 FC Dallas
CHI - Sapong (11) 7'
CHI - Frankowski (3) (Bronico 2) 16'
CHI - Sapong (12) (Gaitán 11) 29'
CHI - Nikoli? (12) (Frankowski 8) 39'
DAL - Pomykal (Caution) 5'
Chicago Fire: GK Kronholm, D Kappelhof, D Schweinsteiger (Mihailovi? 66'), D Calvo (Marcelo 80'), D Bornstein, M McCarty©, M Bronico, M Frankowski, M Gaitán, M Sapong (Katai 73'), F Nikoli?
Subs not used: Sánchez, Gutjahr, Azira, Herbers
Shots: 17 Shots on goal: 7 Fouls: 9 Offsides: 0 Corners: 9
FC Dallas: GK Gonzalez, D Cannon, D Hedges, D Ziegler, D Hollingshead, M Pomykal, M Cerrillo, M Ferreira (Servania HT), F Barrios (Hayes 76') , F Ondrasek, F Badji (Mosquera 66')
Subs not used: Maurer, Bressan, Nelson, Pepi
Shots: 11 Shots on goal: 4 Fouls: 10 Offsides: 1 Corners: 7
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Assistant Referees: Jose Da Silva, Chris Elliott
Fourth Official: Silviu Petrescu
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2019
- Montero scores in dying seconds as 'Caps defeat Dynamo in dramatic fashion - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Suffers 1-0 Loss to FC Cincinnati - Montreal Impact
- LAFC Draws Philadelphia Union 1-1 on Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Lions Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Earn 3-3 Draw against New England - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Falls to Columbus 3-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Union earn a point at home against LAFC - Philadelphia Union
- Allan Cruz's early goal leads FCC over Montreal in shutout win - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Play Orlando City SC to 3-3 Draw - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Falls to Chicago Fire 4-0 - FC Dallas
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. New York Red Bulls - September 15, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Blanks FC Dallas 4-0, Moves Within Two Points of Playoff Position - Chicago Fire
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 1 San Jose Earthquakes - New York City FC
- Chris Wondolowski scores goal No. 158 of his MLS career in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Visits Minnesota United FC in Maiden Voyage to Allianz Field - Real Salt Lake
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Look to Build on Midweek Victory against Vancouver Whitecaps - Houston Dynamo
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic and Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. Men's National Team
- Chicago Fire FC Declines 2021 Contract Option for Midfielder Brandt Bronico
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 21-Year-Old Defender Jhon Espinoza
- Robert Beric and Mauricio Pineda Announced as 2020 Chicago Fire FC Award Winners
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 20-Year-Old Nigerian Striker Chinonso Offor