Monsters Take Down Marlies, 5-3
TORONTO, ON - The Cleveland Monsters, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, defeated the Toronto Marlies, 5-3, on Monday afternoon at the Coca-Cola Coliseum. With the win, the Monsters improve to 3-0-0-0 overall and remain alone in first place of the Eastern Conference's North Division.
The Monsters struck first Monday against Toronto when Ryan MacInnis re-directed a Nathan Gerbe shot from Eric Robinson at 3:22 of the opening frame to give Cleveland an early 1-0 lead. Moments later, off a Toronto turnover, Justin Scott extended the lead with his second goal of the season, an even-strength tally at 5:33 of the first period to put the Monsters in front, 2-0. The Marlies responded at 15:49 when Chris Mueller scored on assists from Dmytro Timashov and Sam Gagner to trim the Monsters lead to 2-1. Michael Prapavessis capped off the scoring in the opening stanza with his first professional goal, an even-strength marker at 17:25 on feeds from Paul Bittner and Dillon Simpson to extend the Cleveland lead to 3-1 after one period of play.
In the second period, the Monsters pushed their lead to 5-1 thanks to two quick goals from Zac Dalpe - the first, a power-play goal at 2:13 on feeds from Alex Broadhurst and Gerbe, and the second an even-strength tally at 4:30 with assists from Tommy Cross and Robinson. Toronto answered with an even-strength goal of their own at 4:46 as Sam Gagner scored on a feed from Carl Grunstrom. The Marlies closed the scoring for the day at 17:56 of the middle frame when Calle Rosen found the back of the net thanks to assists from Jordan Subban and Gagner, giving the Monsters a 5-3 road victory.
Cleveland goaltender Jean-Francois Berube stopped 37 of 40 shots faced Monday to improve to 2-0-0 on the season, while Marlies backstop Kasimir Kaskisuo stopped 19 of 24 pucks to drop to 1-1-0.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Thursday home clash vs. the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins with full coverage, live from The Q, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1 and the Monsters Hockey Network.
2018-19 Monsters Hockey Club Memberships, providing fans the ability to lock in the lowest ticket prices, the best seat locations to each game, custom member benefits and an exclusive Monsters jersey, are now available! Group outing and birthday bash packages for 10 or more people are also on sale now. All tickets can be purchased by visiting ClevelandMonsters.com, calling (216) 420-0000 or any Northern Ohio Discount Drug Mart. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters C Justin Scott celebrates with the Cleveland bench
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 8, 2018
- Rampage Weekly Report - October 8 - San Antonio Rampage
- Roadrunners Weekly - Tucson Roadrunners
- Last Week Today: Out of the Gate - Tucson Roadrunners
- Chicago Wolves Reveal Promotional Schedule for 25th Anniversary Season - Chicago Wolves
- Monsters Take Down Marlies, 5-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners College Nights Start Next Friday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Cole Kehler Re-Assigned to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Globetrotters Coming to Utica on Fan Powered World Tour Thursday, February 7 - Utica Comets
- Iowa Wild Announces Dropkick Murphys Concert for February 22 - Iowa Wild
- Wolf Pack Weekly, October 8-14 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Marlies Hit Home Ice for First Time this Season - Toronto Marlies
- Chicago Wolves Insider - Chicago Wolves
- Kamenev Called up to Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Griffins Set Promotions for Friday's Home Opener - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Florida Panthers Recall G Michael Hutchinson from Springfield (AHL) on Emergency Basis - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Top Crunch 5-3, Grab 1-0 Lead in North Division Semi-Final
- Blue Jackets Reassign Liam Foudy to Monsters from OHL's London Knights
- Blue Jackets Assign Center Zac Dalpe to Monsters
- Monsters Sign Goaltender Jeff Smith to Professional Tryout Contract
- Monsters Playoff Schedule and Fan Information Announced