Monsters Late Fight Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Griffins
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The Cleveland Monsters fell to the Grand Rapids Griffins 4-1 on Saturday night at Van Andel Arena. With the loss, the Monsters finish the 2020-21 season 16-10-1-2 and are currently in second place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
The Griffins' Kris Criscuolo scored the lone goal of the opening frame at just 46 seconds sending the Monsters into the first intermission trailing 1-0. Following a scoreless second period, Gavin Bayreuther tied the game with a power-play tally at 4:03 of the final frame with Dillon Simpson picking up the lone assist. Despite a strong fight from the Monsters, the Griffins added a power-play marker from Riley Barber at 14:23 and empty-net tallies from Dominic Turgeon at 18:31 and Givani Smith at 19:43 to take the 4-1 victory.
Cleveland's Daniil Tarasov made 40 saves in defeat while Grand Rapids' Calvin Pickard made 28 saves for the victory.
The Monsters will open the 2021-22 season on Friday, October 15, at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Start time, opponent, and promotional information will be announced on a later date.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 0 0 1 - - 1
GR 1 0 3 - - 4
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 29 1/4 4/5 16 min / 8 inf
GR 44 1/5 3/4 14 min / 7 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Tarasov L 40 2 4-2-0
GR Pickard W 28 1 1-1-1
Cleveland Record: 16-10-1-2, 2nd Central Division
Grand Rapids Record: 16-12-3-1, 4th Central Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 15, 2021
- Gulls Close Regular Season with OT Win - San Diego Gulls
- Colorado Finishes Regular Season with 3-2 Overtime Loss to San Diego - Colorado Eagles
- AHL Announces Pacific Division Playoff Matchups - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber's 20th Goal Gives Griffins Season-Ending 4-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Drop Season Series Finale to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Moose Drop Penultimate Game - Manitoba Moose
- Intense Rivalry Clash Opens Last Weekend of the Season - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Finish Season with 3-2 Win over Wild - Texas Stars
- Wolves Wrap 2021 Season with Win - Chicago Wolves
- Björkqvist Buries in OT for Penguins 2-1 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Top Amerks, 5-3, in Season Finale - Syracuse Crunch
- Iowa Falls 3-2 to Texas in Season Finale - Iowa Wild
- Monsters Late Fight Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Griffins - Cleveland Monsters
- San Diego Gulls Semifinal Playoff Series Schedule Announced - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Take Down Silver Knights, 3-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Condors Clinch Second; to Host Semifinal Series against San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Bears Claim North Division Title, Win Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy - Hershey Bears
- 32 Admiral Alums to Compete for Stanley Cup - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brodeur Stops 32 in 3-2 Loss to Bears - Binghamton Devils
- Roadrunners Open Playoffs Tuesday at 1 p.m. - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Moose, May 15th - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Devils at Bears, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Force Overtime, Fall In Last Minute To Ontario Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign earn 3-2 overtime win over the Tucson Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Have Chance to Clinch Second in Finale - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule Presented by SeatGeek
- Monsters Drop the Puck on the 2021-22 Season against Syracuse Crunch
- Monsters Sign Trio of Players to AHL Contracts for 2021-22 Season
- Monsters Issue Statement on the Passing of Matiss Kivlenieks
- Monsters Sign Forwards Justin Scott, Tristan Mullin to AHL Contracts