Monsters Hold off Wolves in Chicago, 3-2
ROSEMONT, IL - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters defeated the Chicago Wolves at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL on Friday by a final score of 3-2. With the win, the Monsters improved to 30-26-6-1 overall this season and with 67 points, remain alone in sixth place in the AHL's North Division standings, one point behind the fifth place Utica Comets and three points behind the fourth place Belleville Senators for the division's final playoff spot.
The Wolves grabbed a 1-0 lead in the opening frame's final minute when former Monster T.J. Tynan provided an even-strength finish at 19:48 of the period.
In the second, Cleveland's Kole Sherwood tied the game just ten seconds into the frame on even-strength feeds from Zac Dalpe and Ryan Collins before Sherwood provided Cleveland with the team's first lead at 7:05 with another five-on-five tally, made possible by assists from Derek Barach and Doyle Somerby. Barach's assist was the first point of his professional career and he followed it up by providing the lone helper on an even-strength Tommy Cross goal for the Monsters at 9:47 that made it 3-1 Cleveland.
The Wolves battled back, however, to draw within a goal following a Dylan Coghlan power-play marker at 18:25 of the middle stanza that made it 3-2 Monsters through 40 minutes of play, and after a scoreless final period, Cleveland emerged victorious by that very margin.
Monsters goaltender Jean-Francois Berube improved to 20-17-5 this season following a 25-save performance while Chicago's Max Lagace fell to 16-8-4 in net this year by virtue of a 34-save showing.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Saturday road clash vs. the Rockford IceHogs with full coverage, live from BMO Harris Bank Center in Rockford, IL, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters tickets for the hottest games of the year on sale now and start at only $10 per seat! Additionally, 2019-20 Monsters Hockey Club memberships, including the best seats for each game, the lowest ticket prices, exclusive year-round benefits and free gear are also on sale now. Visit https://www.clevelandmonsters.com/tickets/monsters-hockey-club or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters celebrate at Chicago
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Monsters Hold off Wolves in Chicago, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Lacouvee Makes 31 Saves in Rocket 3-2 Shootout Win over Senators - Laval Rocket
- Forsberg Saves Hogs' Bacon - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Snap Wolves' Home Winning Streak - Chicago Wolves
- Forsberg's Steady Hand, Tuulola's Late Stick Help Hogs Clip Griffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Overcome Moose Comeback with 5-4 Overtime Win - Texas Stars
- Crunch Down Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wild Ride Power Play Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Fight Until the End But Run out of Time - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Fall Despite Late Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Beaten in Shootout by Laval - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Fall in First of Two with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Bears Rally in Third, Fall in Overtime to Marlies - Hershey Bears
- Nedeljkovic Stymies Amerks in 4-1 Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime to Springfield - Utica Comets
- Lashoff Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Greco Silences Comets with Penalty Shot OT Winner - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Two Goals from Stempniak Power P-Bruins over Phantoms 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Marlies Kick off Three in Three in Hershey - Toronto Marlies
- Hogs Challenge Fans to Beat the Blueliners in NCAA Bracket Challenge - Rockford IceHogs
- Game #55 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Recall Crawford from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Reassign Forward Alexandre Texier to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Utica Jr. Comets Merge with Syracuse Stars - Utica Comets
- Dallas Stars Recall Goaltender Landon Bow - Texas Stars
- Heat, Roadrunners Begin Pivotal Weekend Series Friday - Stockton Heat
- Goloubef Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Detroit Assigns Zadina to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Sign Seamus Malone to ATO - Utica Comets
- Jets Reassign Vesalainen from Jokerit to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Marlies at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 15 - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Loan Justin Bailey to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Reassign Forward Maxime Fortier to Monsters
- Monsters Fall to Crunch in Game 3 by 2-1 Final Score
- Monsters Announce Four Roster Moves
- Monsters Defeat Crunch 5-1, Claim 2-0 Lead in North Division Semi-Final Series
- Derek Barach Inks AHL Contract with Monsters for 2019-20 Season