Comets Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime to Springfield
Utica, N.Y. - The Utica Comets rallied to force overtime but ultimately fell 2-1 to the Springfield Thunderbirds Friday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. In his first professional game, Seamus Malone scored his first professional goal. Michael Leighton made 23 saves in the loss.
The two teams traded chances in the opening frame, including a power play for each team, but no one was able to find the net.
Matt Mangene got the scoring started six minutes into the second period, beating Leighton with a screened shot over the right pad. The Comets had a plethora of chances to tie the game up but Thunderbirds netminder Chris Driedger was up to the task.
Utica kept up the pressure to start the third, throwing 10 shots on goal in the first eight minutes of the period. The Comets finally broke through when Malone buried a rebound halfway through period. Zack MacEwen and Tanner Kero picked up the assists. Neither team could pull ahead in the final 10 minutes and the game would head to overtime.
Anthony Greco was awarded a penalty shot in overtime and he took full advantage to give Springfield the win.
The Comets go right back at it tomorrow night against the Hartford Wolf Pack. Puck drop at the Adirondack Bank Center is a 7 p.m. Fans are encouraged to use the ticket exchange site, StubHub!. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Monsters Hold off Wolves in Chicago, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Lacouvee Makes 31 Saves in Rocket 3-2 Shootout Win over Senators - Laval Rocket
- Forsberg Saves Hogs' Bacon - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Snap Wolves' Home Winning Streak - Chicago Wolves
- Forsberg's Steady Hand, Tuulola's Late Stick Help Hogs Clip Griffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Overcome Moose Comeback with 5-4 Overtime Win - Texas Stars
- Crunch Down Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wild Ride Power Play Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Fight Until the End But Run out of Time - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Fall Despite Late Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Beaten in Shootout by Laval - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Fall in First of Two with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Bears Rally in Third, Fall in Overtime to Marlies - Hershey Bears
- Nedeljkovic Stymies Amerks in 4-1 Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime to Springfield - Utica Comets
- Lashoff Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Greco Silences Comets with Penalty Shot OT Winner - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Two Goals from Stempniak Power P-Bruins over Phantoms 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Marlies Kick off Three in Three in Hershey - Toronto Marlies
- Hogs Challenge Fans to Beat the Blueliners in NCAA Bracket Challenge - Rockford IceHogs
- Game #55 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Recall Crawford from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Reassign Forward Alexandre Texier to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Utica Jr. Comets Merge with Syracuse Stars - Utica Comets
- Dallas Stars Recall Goaltender Landon Bow - Texas Stars
- Heat, Roadrunners Begin Pivotal Weekend Series Friday - Stockton Heat
- Goloubef Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Detroit Assigns Zadina to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Sign Seamus Malone to ATO - Utica Comets
- Jets Reassign Vesalainen from Jokerit to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Marlies at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 15 - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Loan Justin Bailey to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.