Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 15
The Belleville Senators hold a playoff spot by itself and look to maintain it tonight when they host the Laval Rocket at CAA Arena.
Belleville (31-25-3-4) sits fourth in the North Division and leads Utica by two points for the final playoff spot in the division. The Sens trail Toronto by five points for third place.
Laval (25-27-6-4) are seventh in the North Division and trail Belleville by nine points and have played one less game than their Canadian rivals.
The Sens' 200 goals are tied for the fifth most in the Eastern Conference's while Laval's 164 goals are the third fewest in the AHL.
Sens defencemen Erik Brannstrom and Cody Goloubef were recalled by Ottawa Thursday. The team did sign blueliner Miles Gendron out of UConn but he isn't joining the team until the 2019-20 season.
No official word on who starts for Belleville but Marcus Hogberg seems destined to start his 13th straight game for the Sens.
Andrew Sturtz, Max Lajoie and Morgan Klimchuk are out for Belleville.
The Senators are 6-4 against Laval this season and are 4-0 at CAA Arena against their Quebec rivals. The Sens don't make any more trips to Laval this season having gone 2-4 inside Place Bell this year.
Who to watch
Nick Paul buried the game-winner Monday for Belleville in Toronto as part of a three-point night and he has 31 points (14 goals) in 30 games this year. His career high in goals is 15, set in 2016-17.
Rookie defenceman Cale Fleury, the brother of Carolina's Haydn Fleury, is second in scoring for Laval defenceman this season with 17 points (six goals) in 46 games.
Where to watch
Friday's game starts at 7:00pm and can also be seen on AHLTV as well as Facebook Watch. Fans can also watch tonight's contest at Shoeless Joe's in Belleville.
The radio broadcast on CJBQ 800 begins at 6:50pm with Jack Miller on the call and Paul Svoboda on colour.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 15, 2019
- Monsters Hold off Wolves in Chicago, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Lacouvee Makes 31 Saves in Rocket 3-2 Shootout Win over Senators - Laval Rocket
- Forsberg Saves Hogs' Bacon - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Snap Wolves' Home Winning Streak - Chicago Wolves
- Forsberg's Steady Hand, Tuulola's Late Stick Help Hogs Clip Griffs - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Overcome Moose Comeback with 5-4 Overtime Win - Texas Stars
- Crunch Down Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wild Ride Power Play Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Fight Until the End But Run out of Time - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolf Pack Fall Despite Late Rally - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sens Beaten in Shootout by Laval - Belleville Senators
- Amerks Fall in First of Two with Checkers - Rochester Americans
- Bears Rally in Third, Fall in Overtime to Marlies - Hershey Bears
- Nedeljkovic Stymies Amerks in 4-1 Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Drop Heartbreaker in Overtime to Springfield - Utica Comets
- Lashoff Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Greco Silences Comets with Penalty Shot OT Winner - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Two Goals from Stempniak Power P-Bruins over Phantoms 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Marlies Kick off Three in Three in Hershey - Toronto Marlies
- Hogs Challenge Fans to Beat the Blueliners in NCAA Bracket Challenge - Rockford IceHogs
- Game #55 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Recall Crawford from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Reassign Forward Alexandre Texier to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Utica Jr. Comets Merge with Syracuse Stars - Utica Comets
- Dallas Stars Recall Goaltender Landon Bow - Texas Stars
- Heat, Roadrunners Begin Pivotal Weekend Series Friday - Stockton Heat
- Goloubef Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Detroit Assigns Zadina to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Sign Seamus Malone to ATO - Utica Comets
- Jets Reassign Vesalainen from Jokerit to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Game Preview: Marlies at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, March 15 - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Loan Justin Bailey to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.