Monsters Fall to Admirals 3-2 in OT
Kevin Fiala scored 48 seconds into overtime to hand the Lake Erie Monsters (31-26-7-4) a 3-2 overtime loss at the hands of the Milwaukee Admirals (33-25-7-5) Wednesday night at Quicken Loans Arena. Trevor Cheek and Reid Petryk did the scoring for the Monsters, who finish the night four points behind the Chicago Wolves, the current owners of the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Monsters have eight games remaining in the regular season; four at home, and four on the road. The Monsters host Toronto Friday at 7:30 p.m.
With 8.8 seconds left in the first period, Trevor Cheek banged home the rebound from a Michael Schumacher shot to give the Monsters a 1-0 lead. Tomas Vincour also assisted on the goal, which was the sixth of the season for Cheek.
Reid Petryk gave the Monsters a 2-0 lead with an unassisted goal- his third goal of the season- that stood as the only scoring in the middle frame. The Monsters forecheck created a Milwaukee turnover, and Petryk wasted no time snapping a shot from the high slot that beat Milwaukee's Marek Mazanec top-shelf at 7:39 of the second period.
Milwaukee scored twice in the third period to ultimately force overtime. Triston Grant scored on a rebound at 2:07 of the third period to cut the Monsters lead to 2-1, and Gary Steffes scored a tying goal for the second straight night for the Admirals, as the former Monster netted a bouncing puck in the slot at 14:41 of the third period.
Following an Admirals five-minute penalty kill that covered the end of regulation and the first 35 seconds of overtime, Kevin Fiala cut to the front of the net and scored on a wrist shot to give the Admirals a 3-2 victory 48 seconds into the extra frame.
Calvin Pickard stopped 27 of 30 shots for the Monsters. He is 19-14-7 after the overtime loss. Mazanec stopped 35 of 37 Monsters shots in the Milwaukee net; he is 18-16-7 for the Admirals.
The Monsters host Toronto Friday at 7:30 p.m. Friday's game airs live on ESPN 850 WKNR.
NOTES: The Monsters finish the 10-game season series against Milwaukee with a record of 5-3-1-1... The Monsters are 22-6-7-4 in one-goal games this season... The Monsters are 17-13-2-2 at home this season... Andrew Agozzino's franchise-record 12-game point streak came to a close; he had eight goals and 21 points during the streak... The Monsters were 0-3 on the power play and Milwaukee was 0-2... Follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lakeeriemonsters, and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/monstershockey .
Images from this story
Lake Erie Monsters vs. Milwaukee Admirals
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 1, 2015
- Stars Offense Blows out Flames in 7-4 Win - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Magic Number at Two After 6-1 Roasting of 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Comets Clinch 2015 Calder Cup Playoff Spot - Utica Comets
- Senators Snatch 3-2 OT Win, Delay Crunch Clinching Playoff Spot - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Win 3-2 in OT vs. Lake Erie - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Stay Undefeated against Norfolk - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Uher, Dumoulin Lead Penguins Past Wolf Pack - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Admirals Drop Fifth Straight to Phantoms, 3-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Sharks Kick off Road Trip with 6th Straight Win in 3-2 Shootout Victory - Worcester Sharks
- Pack Can't Hold off Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Eighth Straight Win Vaults Comets to West's Top Spot - Utica Comets
- Monsters Fall to Admirals 3-2 in OT - Cleveland Monsters
- Albany Devils Winning Streak Ends - Albany Devils
- Sharks Come Back, Defeat Bears in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wideman's OT Strike Lifts B-Sens Past Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Push Winning Streak to Six - Chicago Wolves
- Mersch Stays Hot in 2-1 Win over Devils - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage to Host Face off against Kids Cancer Night on Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Brady Skjei to ATO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rampage Recall Tony Turgeon from Allen - San Antonio Rampage
- Bulldogs Foundation Donates over $12,000 to Juravinski Cancer Centre - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Florida Panthers Agree to Terms with D Michael Matheson - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Playoff Tickets on Sale at 11 a.m. Friday - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers fall on Spring Fun 102 Day - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Reassign Dea to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- B-Sens to Host 1st Annual Career Fair - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Comeback to Down Sound Tigers, 2-1 - Springfield Falcons
- Agozzino Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Cleveland Monsters
- Murray Earns Second Straight CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month Honors - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Friday Is Deadline for Priority Access for Season Tickets - St. John's IceCaps
- Agozzino, Mersch, Murray Named American Hockey League Award Winners - AHL
- Rattie Recalled from Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Lightning Sign Matthew Peca to Two-Year Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Beach and Chelios Head to ECHL - Chicago Wolves
- Predators Reassign Arvidsson to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Checkers, CRVA to Hold Open Skate at Bojangles' Coliseum - Charlotte Checkers
- April Is IceCaps Fan Appreciation Month - St. John's IceCaps
- Admirals to Build New Hockey Arena - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Sign Forward Carson Meyer to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Thomas Schemitsch to AHL Contract
- Cavs, Monsters and Charge Announce Multi-Year Extension of Radio Broadcast Agreement
- Monsters Sign Forward Tyler Sikura to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Justin Scott, Dillon Simpson, Brad Thiessen to AHL Contracts